A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College!

I missed out on the whole uni thing I wonder how different things would be if I did go. Not only in my career but my own social development.

Do people here think uni or college has made them the person they are now or would there not be much of a difference?

IMHO-

I think academically I would be the same (more or less).. but socially, I think it helped.

I was exposed to MANY different kinds of people..and their ideas/opinions. I met many different people with different outlooks than my own as well.

Many of the things I did/experienced were a result of knowing many different people and being open.

I think it helps you build a tolerance for others who have a 'different walk of life' than your own.

but again its different for everyone (IMHO), you take away from it the things you want I suppose (as in everything in life), I think part of the key is being young, that you arent set in 'your ways' yet.. and can have experiences that will help in the future.

I 'for sure' wouldnt say makes anyone better or worse....just different.

You can certainly get these experiences and idea elsewhere as well.

Its like Flashkit (in a way)..

there are so many different people here, you get feedback from all ways of thinking...all kinds of view points..

college is just more 'in your face/personal'

<3
    Quote Originally Posted by CVO Chris
    I missed out on the whole uni thing I wonder how different things would be if I did go. Not only in my career but my own social development.

Do people here think uni or college has made them the person they are now or would there not be much of a difference?

For me definitely no - when it comes to career and social development.

Every single thing that I have done (until recently when i joined this uni group for advertising/marketing/pr student) concerning career has been done out of uni.

If I get out of uni next year and not finish/get my degree, it wouldn't hinder me that much. Although I will finish though...there's no point in getting out of it midway.

As for social, it's a definite no. I have NO social circle at uni - my own social circle are either contacts from creative industry or from the metal scene (lol). School is really different here - when I go to uni, I go for the classes or lectures or just to use the library and then I go home and I go out at clubs to meet up with friends from different backgrounds and ages.

Real world experience > uni by a LONG shot.
    You can get high marks at uni and still be out of the real loop.
    If you do well 'out there', then I think that what happens at uni doesn't matter much.

My uni experiences definitely added to my "man training"... I needed that transition.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]