A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College!

College!

As of tomorrow, I will be a resident and attendant at Muhlenberg College.

A step in my life I've been looking forward to for a long time. Any advice you guys can offer?

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

go to the school's hospital/clinic... raid the condom supply. it's usually free.

at Wardenburg we used to hit up the "bowl" for handfuls of 'em.

otherwise, honestly... there's 168 hours in a week. structure it well enough and you'll be able to pull off 21+ hours of school and labs, a proper 7-8 hours of sleep, and have enough time to party like a rockstar.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

A very good friend of mine went there, all of his college friends are drunken animals. Learn to play beer pong and bring a helmet.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Step one done, but... helmet?

And gerbs, my friends got me a going away package... a set of ping pong balls, a shot glass, a photo of them and a box of condoms.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Don't be "that guy."
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    Don't be "that guy."
    Bingo.

And F...a lot.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

1) Don't get a girlfriend.
    2) If you plan on going to a lot of parties- learn all the rules to all the lame drinking games
    3) Go to every class- hungover or not that is why you are going there.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

if you think there is even a remote chance you are going to pass out take your shoes off early.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Learn a "cool" instrument(guitar, drums, etc) and be decent at it or learn a obscure instrument but be AMAZING at it.
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 08-22-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

skip college go right into the real world. unless you are going to be a doctor or somthing that requires a degree to do it why waste the money.

Because the real life sucks most of the time unless you are really well off. College is a good place to experience a lot of stuff you haven't yet and to experiment with stuff before the real world sucks you in.

I wouldn't take back going to college but I did think about how my freshmen year was amazing and most of my senior year was too but the 2 middle years are sorta a big blur and I wish I could redo those- and that is because I had a downer gf that took up too much of my time(in a bad way). So I stand by my #1 in not getting a gf. Unless they are AMAZING and they really do make your life better and it isn't just some fling because that is a waste of time.

or if that's your thing- have AS MANY flings as possible in 4 years
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 08-22-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Also, take life advice from strangers on the internet.

No, seriously, college can be a make or break time for you. Take it seriously, start thinking about what it is you want to do for a living while you're there. Try different things, do internships, study abroad, get into and really enjoy group projects. If you're not interested in what you're studying, don't try to force it. Find something you like and throw yourself into it.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

So, move in and orientation all finished, just got back from my first class, Intro to Soc. So far it's been an awesome experience. I was put in a room built for four, with 2 other roomates, and one of those roomates moved out. We officially have THE party room, which is alright because I know I couldn't study here anyway. Yes, we have a guest bed. The shear amount of attractive females coupled with the lack of competition isn't something to complain about either. My course selection is perfect.

I feel like I was being birthed for the last 18 years and I can finally breathe on my own.

Don't abuse your freedom. Maintain responsibility... ****ing up in your first year is all too easy.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

<3
    I go to uni (like college to you Americans). I live in a sharehouse with two other people, both of them work full-time. I can't imagine myself living in a 'college' of some sort let alone be in a share room.

In the spirit of this thread...
    1. Yes, don't fkk up your first year. Do well at it, get used to the workload, etc. Make sure you talk to someone if you are having troubles - it's a bit hard to tell if what you are going through is 'normal' for college stress or if it's something else.
    2. Get involved in projects that you are into. Work experience, group memberships (both internal and external), internships, etc.
    3. You need to get experience in the 'real world' too - I don't think internal experience is good enough just because it's 'sterile' and it's too much hand-holding from staff.
    4. Get a mentor from within the industry on your second/third year. I've recently placed in an application for a group (deals with marketing/advertising/communication students) to be an external mentor (so I'm doing it on behalf of an organisation rather than merely "as a student").

PS: The last three are from my personal experience and I am doing a Bach. of Creative Industries. I don't know what your degree is so the whole work experience thing may not be as important...

PPS: The last two would be more relevant, say, after your first year or the first half of your first year.
    Last edited by Saint Benedetta; 08-25-2008 at 10:32 AM.

will be some of thebest times of your life!!! although you might not see them like that until AFTER, and they are only memories.

Try to keep it in mind during the CURRENT times.. and they will be even better!

be social.. even they have some ghey college events...some arent so bad..

the house parties will be super fun.

keep your stuff/room PRIVATE designate a central room area to party in..LOL

I cant stress enough.. JUST BE SOCIAL!!.. you'll meet tons of people (cough: chics)... dont settle down with one chic and spend all yoru time with her either.. Im not saying to be a SLUT..Im saying you dont want to miss any experiences these next few years..

oh..and to put some 'validation' to my comments... I was on academic probation (several times).. its TERRIBLE..and wasteful. Keep yo ugades in check..and the world in yours..both during and after.

Im actually a little jealous of you right now! LOL I wish I could go back...

oh and if you can (shouldnt be a problem0 DO NOT LET YOUR GRADES SLIP!)

cause once this party time is done..and you ant to move, you'll have it if you have things holding you back from exploring other options..

All the upperclassmen moved in yesterday so I went and visited my old room mate and a few other people and it felt weird being on campus but it was good seeing everyone. I might go back later this week during the day and see some of the professors that are worth going back and seeing.

Don't be afraid of professors. Even if in class they come off as *******s usually they are awesome out of class. There is obviously exceptions too that but all of my years in college only 1 teacher I really dislike because she is a condescending ***** 24/7.

Hmm, I never went. I had a brief stint in community college and got my first career position at 17. Been working my ass off ever since. I do kinda feel like I missed out on a little but I had a pretty huge circle of friends I did lots of crazy sh*t with on my off time which really seems to be the essence of that college experience anyway.

I've always viewed it as a blip in the grand scheme of life anyway. I guess my advice would be to not forget that it's just prep for real life and not to get too attached to the lifestyle.

Same as above, except at 18 i took a year and moved to the other side of the country. got an idea of what it was like to be on my own. moved back got my career job and been here ever since.

Don't rush it. It's not a race to get to the end. If you take Gerbs 21+ hours of school and labs do it because they're kick ass classes you'll enjoy. The sooner you get done, the sooner you have to figure out what to do. I finished a four year degree in five years and it was still too fast. Damn.
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!