A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 463

Thread: US Vice President choice thread...

  1. #341
    Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Somewhere in Time
    Posts
    148
    you have two people claiming to be the same, broad thing, but one is nigh-fanatical and the other is nigh-lax. Yet, they're both Christian. And oppose what you personally believe?
    - Firstly, two people irrespective of caste, color, race or religion are the same. Secondly its how the individuals perseive what is right-wrong.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

  2. #342
    Total Universe Mod jAQUAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by villain2
    Get it? Probably not,
    I just think you've blurred the line a bit between fact and opinion. You make a lot of statements as if they're facts when in reality they are your personal views. As far as those go, let me say that I agree with a lot of them. I like knowing there are people like you out there who are disgusted with "me" trends as am I. I support you on those, really. I'm just more concerned with what you do instead of what you think. I like that I live in a country that allows for various faiths to be practiced openly, I just don't think they're entirely productive. Accountability goes a long way towards protecting and upgrading American values and by and large, religion allows one to delay the soul search.

    As far as soul searching imho, you're on the way but not quite to the point where it makes sense to you that sinners did not exist until religion was invented. If we sum up all the goals of the separate institutions of sin and law as 'good will towards mankind', my feelings are that faith in deities is a dirt road and human awareness is an express lane.
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 09-19-2008 at 02:35 PM.

  3. #343
    Hood Rich FlashLackey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    148
    jAQUAN, is this the type of religious perspective that you find objectionable?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khuu-RhOBDU



    [Just to clarify, I'm posting this to laugh at and in no way expect anyone to take his accusations seriously. Please edit out the link mods if anyone feels there is any risk of anyone doing that.]
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 09-21-2008 at 01:49 AM.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

  4. #344
    supervillain gerbick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    undecided.
    Posts
    18,979
    Oh ****ing great. Is that what Americans really listen to for information?

    If so, sad. If not... sad.

    [ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

  5. #345
    Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Pit of Despair
    Posts
    513
    Wow... just, wow.

    Yeah, FL, I know you say you're just joking, but as the saying goes, "There's more truth said in jest than in earnest."

    This is barely a step above the "God hates fags" church.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

    "Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

  6. #346
    supervillain gerbick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    undecided.
    Posts
    18,979
    Ahem... I see your "God hates fags" and raise you "God hates fags and soldiers".

    [ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

  7. #347
    Hood Rich FlashLackey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyal Rogue
    Wow... just, wow.

    Yeah, FL, I know you say you're just joking, but as the saying goes, "There's more truth said in jest than in earnest."

    This is barely a step above the "God hates fags" church.
    Excuse me? Is there anything about my intentions that you need to illuminate for me?

    I posted the link because the guy is over-the-top ridiculous. If you're so wound up over our political discussions that you think there was some other motive, that is your issue and yours alone.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

  8. #348
    Hood Rich FlashLackey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Oh ****ing great. Is that what Americans really listen to for information?

    If so, sad. If not... sad.
    I doubt this guy has a broad audience. And yes, it's definitely sad. But, once you acknowledge how sad it is, the hysteria the guy gets into is laughable.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

  9. #349
    supervillain gerbick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    undecided.
    Posts
    18,979
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    I doubt this guy has a broad audience. And yes, it's definitely sad. But, once you acknowledge how sad it is, the hysteria the guy gets into is laughable.
    I live in the South. People will hang onto his antics before hanging onto the truth because it supports their stereotypes.

    Sometimes, I just wonder does anybody ever happen to think that. In my case, those type of people that would believe that "sad preacher" instead of anything else are not the minority.

    In fact, I wonder if that idea has ever crossed your mind and if you see the ramifications of giving a person like that an audience. It reinforces any subconscious stereotypes that even you might have gained through life experiences and inherited from your surroundings.

    And to answer that knee-jerk reaction you probably had; everybody has stereotypes that they know about, some they down deep probably believe. Being aware of stereotypes means that they already exist in you somewhere. You may not live your life by them - I'm not calling you a card carrying member of the Klan - but to know them, means you've already had been exposed to them.

    I'll allow you to rebuke this; I honestly think that you'd be dishonest to yourself if you say otherwise.

    [ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

  10. #350
    Hood Rich FlashLackey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    148
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. That I know there are negative stereotypes and that somehow says something about me for posting a guy making crazy comments? People post stories, videos and images of people doing stupid things here all the time. The point is to laugh at them, be shocked, or whatever. To suggest that anything anyone posts is somehow always a reflection of that persons views is ridiculous. I'm getting the impression that you and LR just want your own prejudices against me to be true. Some kind of cartoonification strategy. If that is the case, that is sad.

    If you feel that anyone is at risk of taking the guys comments seriously instead of laughing at how ridiculous he is, then you should remove the link. It sounds like that is what you're saying.

    To me, it's difficult to imagine many people not immediately finding his comments outrageous. But, maybe some people here are more on the fringe than I thought.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

  11. #351
    supervillain gerbick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    undecided.
    Posts
    18,979
    I figured you wouldn't get a word I was saying. Nevermind.

    I'm not wasting a moment with you on this. Trying to get you to see anything is not going to happen.

    Let's just say the more you see of stuff like that, the innermost portion of you that knows about stereotypes might just start to believe those stereotypes. It's nothing about if you will believe those outrageous stories or just take them as they should be - a real ****ing joke. But...

    bah. Too much time wasted on like I said earlier. You will never be able to see anything other than your "point". You just will not get what I'm trying to say.

    [ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

  12. #352
    Hood Rich FlashLackey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    148
    I think I understand your point better now.

    But, I see it as the opposite. Seeing something like that just further confirms for me that such stereotypes come from crazy old relics and are not based on any reality. It's along the same lines as the Darwin award type posts. It's an example of what not to do or say. This is the guy not to be. People learn by disassociation just as much as they do from association, imo.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

  13. #353
    supervillain gerbick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    undecided.
    Posts
    18,979
    We will have to continue view things differently then.

    [ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

  14. #354
    Mod cancerinform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    press the picture...
    Posts
    13,449
    I am tired of all that McCain and Obama crap. I VOTE FOR FLASH CS4.

    http://blogs.adobe.com/rgalvan/2008/...president.html
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

  15. #355
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    0
    There was so little else that his competitors could say against Obama that Biden was just grasping the obvious point of Obama's youth and newness when trying to elevate his own claim to political experience.based on the video clip that i saw in pollclash, The first clip is just sound bites under media pressure to diss one another during a loaded political debate. The other clip shows a more extensive, personal reaction, response and opinion of Obama when Joe is not touting his own cause. It's all politics but I believe the second "shirtsleeve" clip is more honest and fair minded. well you can see the video clip here

  16. #356
    supervillain gerbick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    undecided.
    Posts
    18,979
    Thanks for signing up... just to point to Pollclash.

    yay.

    [ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

  17. #357
    Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Pit of Despair
    Posts
    513
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

    "Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

  18. #358
    Total Universe Mod jAQUAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    jAQUAN, is this the type of religious perspective that you find objectionable?
    Hahaha. Don't worry I know you didn't mean to suggest anything by that.
    I won't even say it supports my objections because it represents the extreme fringe. Extremists aren't my argument, although they do scare me. But their absence would be a bonus to not having a faith to mangle. I take more issue the mass indoctrination. Just yesterday I attended a Latin high mass just to spend some time with my mother and my jaw dropped towards the end when the priest started telling the congregation who to vote for. That is not respect for the individual as most worshipers would have you believe.

  19. #359
    Perverse Futurist villain2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    I just think you've blurred the line a bit between fact and opinion. You make a lot of statements as if they're facts when in reality they are your personal views.

    As far as soul searching imho, you're on the way but not quite to the point where it makes sense to you that sinners did not exist until religion was invented. If we sum up all the goals of the separate institutions of sin and law as 'good will towards mankind', my feelings are that faith in deities is a dirt road and human awareness is an express lane.
    There's a difference between personal views and personal experience. A personal view is that 80mph is slow. A personal experience is that after I got a speeding ticket, 80mph became fast.

    Sinners existed before religion ... however, you could argue there has always been religion since man worshiped the sun or the moon when he first recognized it.

    My stance is simply that this country's laws are greatly similar to those of Judeo-Christian philosophy (I won't say based anymore simply because that argument is tired). That's all.

  20. #360
    Mod cancerinform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    press the picture...
    Posts
    13,449

    Newest Poll

    Have a look at the newest poll. Obama is gaining more:

    http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center