A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Iceland

Iceland

Leaving on Wed. night for 5 days in Reykjavik. Totally overwhelmed with information but looking forward to it. Anyone have ever been and have some favorite spots they want to share?

It's going to be a real challenge constantly dividing by 84.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Dividing by 84?

km to miles?

I assume your going to the huge hot springs there? I've never been there, but have seen pictures from some friends trip.

Appart from that, you need to change your name to PAlexC-ur.

I mostly did the popular touristy stuff when I've visited, Blue Lagoon, Gullfoss, the Geysers etc... Which are all very worth seeing. If you head east out of Reykjavik along the south coast there is some beautiful scenery (we had the most incredible blue sky when we went). The views from the top of HallgrÃ*mskirkja are pretty awesome too.

I've eaten at Vegamót (just off the main shopping street Laugavegur near the hotel Skjaldbreid) a few times. The food and atmosphere were always excellent

Oh, are you renting a car out there or planning to take some of the bus tours?

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    Dividing by 84?
    One would assume that a US dollar is equal to 84 Icelandic something-or-others.

Thanks guys. (Yes, at the current exchange rate I'll be dividing by 84, then getting raped on your special little European wonder tax on anything under 4000 Ikr.)

I'm staying right near Hotel Skjaldbreid, so I'll definitely check out the places you mentioned.

Don't have a full itinerary yet, I plan to do at least one day hiking trip ((link), I don't want to sit in a tour bus. Probably do a glacier walk, though the hot springs look cool too. I'll probably rent a car one or two days and check out Hafnarfjordur, Gulfoss, Geysir and þingvellier on my own.

Oh, and how common is English there with most people? It's a typically American thing to think about, but a guidebook is only going to get me so far.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 09-02-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC

Oh, and how common is English there with most people? It's a typically American thing to think about, but a guidebook is only going to get me so far.
    Everyone I spoke to there had pretty good english.

i heard oihwffhuig was a nice area, Also if you find time you might want to grab dinner at hughdisshjajiwour
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Dänclikurpa is a great club, and they have some nice drinks too, try a traditional Bërwivcøm!

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    i heard oihwffhuig was a nice area, Also if you find time you might want to grab dinner at hughdisshjajiwour
    it's hughdishjajiwuor not hughdisshjajiwour. you and your friggin' horrible spelling.I swear a 5th grader is smarter than you.

oh that's it. you mother****ers are making **** up.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    oh that's it. you mother****ers are making **** up.

LOL, yeah, like Iceland, ROFL @ made up places

Oh, and um, just to be clear...I am most definitely NOT stalking Bjork as part of my 90's fetish. No way. No how. Nuh-uh...nope.

Oh, I forgot, if you're looking for bars you could also try Kaffibarinn (again this is very near hotel Skjaldbreid)

Thanks, I think Lonely Planet mentioned that one. I plan on heading out for the runtur, but am looking for low-key places, not too clubby. Unless I get really bombed.

Hoping my pictures come out good, I'll share when I get back.

Sometimes you just know you're in the right place. Rather than go to bed, I went out drinking at the bar across the street. There's 2 dudes with acoustic guitars singing in English, mostly American songs. One dude whips out a megaphone, which makes me wonder if they're going to do a Tom Waits song, and sure enough, he belts out Chocolate Jesus.

ha! sounds like you're having a good time already dude. good for you.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

For those of you thinking of going, now is the time.

Their economy is on the verge of collapse and the krona has plummeted. Iceland Air is now running $400 flights from the US.

England may be suing them over frozen bank accounts, and Russia is lending them money because the US and Europe don't want to.