A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Exploited Designer?

Exploited Designer?

Hello forum, my first post under a secret name!

I would very much like to hear your pennies of wisdom!

I have worked for almost a year now as an onsite designer for a company who supply digital signage (LCD screens attached to PCs running bespoke templates). I am using bespoke software, much like Flash but with some crazy workarounds and no real scripting. The coding elements are OOP but are drag-and-drop text/number fields. The work was previously outsourced to the software base.

I do a bit of designing, animating with number juggling, coding, copyrighting, limited pitching to clients and I rise to the challenge. I still use flash in my spare time outside of work and design games and such. I am still a very bad coder though with very messy code but I can think in an object/event orientated way.

Now, I am very young only having graduated last year and female. I am sure there must be other similar people out there but I have never met one. Some of my work can be seen in some VERY prominent locations which I am very grateful about.
    I am on a very low wage and wonder...am I cheating the design industry.

My portfolio is very appealing, especially considering I have taken the lead on every project within it. I saw a recruitment agency yesterday who seemed gobsmacked over all I do. To be honest, I do very much like taking the lead on projects and pitching to clients so I am wondering if freelance would be the way to go.

After coming back to work my boss gave me a verbal warning for taking the day off(I didn't mention the interview) I despair. He said I made it sound as if I were better than everyone else. This really isn't the attitude a director should have? My working attitude is usually "get to the point" without fuss.

The other thing I would do would be to contract AND freelance until I find the perfect role for me. that sounds best to me right now... When do you know when to move on and is the grass always greener?

Personally no matter what job you do you will always thing the grass in greener somewhere else.. If you feel uncomfortable at your current job, Leave it go and try something else, do another job, take a freelance contract or something like that.. if you aren't happy life's too short (or long depending on your point of view).

Just my 2 cents (or pence depending on your country)
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    This has to be An Artist. IP check, mod?

[QUOTE]When do you know when to move on and is the grass always greener?[QUOTE]

When you find that the management isn't recognising the great deal of work that yuo're doing, while someone else gets more but does little, and then something comes along inviting you with an opportunity that's too good to refuse -- like starting a new company et all, then you'd know its a good time to move on. Good luck.

Thank-you for the advice.

Taco - I'm sorry if the title was misleading and appeared whiny. I really just wanted down to earth advice not ego strokes.

Last week admin rights were taken away on my computer. I think this is because my boss saw me deleting my temporary internet files - not because of job searching mind you.

Luckily I have lined up a few freelance outlets, some interviews and a flash conference coming up(financed by myself)