A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pimped out Dorm Rooms

Pimped out Dorm Rooms

Hey flashkit, looking for your creative suggestions once again. As you might remember me mentioning, I was fortunate enough to get a dorm room that was originally a quad, was assigned as a triple, and then the third room mate backed out. So that leaves me in a quad with one other room mate, it's huge.

We're in the process of trying to pimp it out, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions, original or from seeing first hand.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Lots of torn out ads with scantily clad women on them. A Jamaican flag. Black light, Bob Marley and Scarface posters. A Budweiser or Corona mirror. Broken lava lamp. Lots of dirty dishes in the sink.

That should allow you to fit right in and give the ladies the right impression.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Dude, no matter what you do... dormitories smell like a stale dorito with a hint of foot.

I suggest in getting some candles... Boucheron has some that will set you apart from the other Glade loving bastards in your zone.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Agreed. Please don't be tempted by the incense peddlers like everyone else.

Classic dorm room is a bad look...always. Leave the lava lamps and rasta gear for the never-get-laid bong heads down the hall.

Gerbs is right on the candle front. Subtle is best - dont over stink your joint up. http://www.illumecandles.com/ - my recommendation.

For design style, always look back a few decades. The danish modern thing is hitting hard now (60s-70s) but can be overdone. I suggest hitting up your local flea market and finding some nice 60s era lamps. Lighting is the best/cheapest way to change a room's look on a simple budget.
    These would both work well. Think Mad Men, but on the cheap.

Get some vintage-y textiles (blankets, pillows, etc. - wait for Pier 1 to have a sale) to home up the place a little more and you'll have the phattest pad in the dorm. Girls will flock. Trust me. Girls will want to suck down beer bongs under a rebel flag and a neon Milwaukee's Best sign, but when it comes to dropping their pants, they'll want a place that's warm and cozy.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I don't know. That might work for semester 3 or 4 on. Semester 1 and 2? Too much thought into matching blankets and pillows might just land you in the Project Runway crowd.

Whatever you choose, it's going to alter the course of your entire life. Remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    I don't know. That might work for semester 3 or 4 on. Semester 1 and 2? Too much thought into matching blankets and pillows might just land you in the Project Runway crowd.
    Agreed. Don't overdo it. One lamp...a few pillows for color, the blanket (or two) are to throw over that chair you found on the street that looks like a cat puked on top - then be done with it. Candle for your stank-ass feet, and get ready to hit it.
    Another good link:
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chic...m-rooms-057726 - I notice lots of mid-century danish-modern furniture in these pics...hmmm....
    Last edited by hanratty21; 09-10-2008 at 02:55 AM.

Good advice. For the record, I never lived in any place that had any of the things I listed.

In hindsight though, if you could ever obtain a real bear-skin rug, I'm pretty sure that it would demand the word "pimp" at least a couple of times.

Don't forget to fill your empty liquor bottles with water and highlighters. That's always classy.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

less is more. I'd keep it as bare as possible. Two beds, two desks and tv. A throw rug and a few frames posters.
    Post pics.

if you can get a pinball machine then do it
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

stripper pole/ fog machine, try and get a keggerator.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

obviously you need a blow, tila tequila, mixology, keg stand, periodic table of shots, and anything that glows in a black light poster.

really though the best thing to put up is original work. I had one of my walls covered completely in 4x6 prints of my own stuff and that got a lot of comments from people. So if you are artistic in any way I would say do that.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    the best thing to put up is original work
    ^ ^ ^
    Right on. Cheap, unique and super stylish way to decorate.

...just as long as the original work doesn't clash with your rebel flag and trucker girl wall stencils...

That's actually a great idea, hadn't thought of that. There's the perfect spot above my desk.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

No bottle cap ceiling designs!

<3
    whiteboards are awesome. get the magnetic ones.

Sophomore year me and my room mate put a huge piece of thick white construction paper on our wall and told anyone who came in to write something on it. We got the usual penis's and other lame things but once it was completely covered it was a pretty cool end result.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna