A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How can screw a paypal domain scammer?

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar

How can screw a paypal domain scammer?

I am constantly getting bombarded with scam offers for some of the more desirable domains I own.
    They all start the same way by asking if it's for sale and how much just like legitimate buyers.

Once they agree to a price of several thousand dollars they immediately ask for my paypal info... that's when I know it's a scam.
    No legitimate buyer is going to mention paypal for a transaction in the $xxxx+ range.

For those that don't know, paypal doesn't cover digital goods such as domains in their seller protection, meaning that any buyer can receive ownership of the domain and then do a chargeback thru paypal ripping the funds back out of any bank account attached to your paypal account without your knowledge or consent.
    Waaaay too many people have ended up losing a valuble domain name plus had their bank accounts overdrawn by this kind of paypal scam.

My question to you is... is there a way to scam the scammer?
    How do you force paypal or the buyer's credit card company to deny their chargeback without taking the easy way out by doing a chargeback on your account?
    I would dearly love to really stick it to one of these guys and give them a little "street justice" since the powers that be can't/won't do anything.
    Thoughts?

Bleh... somebody add the "I" in the correct place in the title so it doesn't look so stupid.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

send them a p-p-p-p-p-powerbook
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Forget trying to scam then just make it blatantly obvious in all materials.

"Paypal is not accepted" should be on your website where you list the items as well in any emails you send to them.

If they persist simply remind them of your paypal policy.

frets, do you think people that are running scams care about your policy?

This thread is a letdown. I thought you were dating a scammer and wanted some tips.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Silver
    Once they agree to a price of several thousand dollars they immediately ask for my paypal info... that's when I know it's a scam.
    No legitimate buyer is going to mention paypal for a transaction in the $xxxx+ range
    If they know they can't get away with using paypal then the smart ones would move on to someone else. The dumb ones would try again and waste time. Usually if they don't understand no on the first time they will never so you just add them to the spam list and move on.

Silver was right on his first post.
    Something along the lines of the p-p-p-p-p-powerbook incident is what I had in mind.
    I don't want to just ignore one of these guys so they move on and rip somebody else off.
    I'm looking for a way to teach one of them a lesson.

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

They will laugh and either move on or keep it up just to aggravate you. Trust me I know. Sometimes I swear deepak is responsible for 5 to 10 percent of my support calls. Or someone just like him who is both seriously bored and has other issues to boot.

Really you can't do anything about it but put on a good face and paste a canned response into your reply then move on to the next customer who is worthy of your efforts.

Heh. Change the wording to where they will receive basically a piece of paper with the domain name written down on it... fancy paper, fancier handwriting.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

You're on to something.

If I can get them to sign for a physical delivery then paypal's seller protection would cover the transaction and make it difficult/impossible for them to do a chargeback.

I would even frame it.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

two wrongs dont make a right. as with all things in life its normally the second person that gets into trouble, so make sure you are very careful with what you do.

Scamming the scammer would make you... a scammer too, and then you'd have to scam yourself..

Ok, thanks for the heads up on the Paypal chargeback scheme, that's going to be priceless in time to come. Who knows~