A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Presidential Debates

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform
    This election will be determined by the VP choice. I have never heard that much discussion about a VP from one party. McCain has failed. It can be expected that he will put together a government of similarly wrong choices. And that is also an important part of the president's task.
    I would not have agreed with you before this debate. McCain did very well, and provided solid reasons for his economic and foreign policy stances. I'll admit, he didn't come across as being the GOP party whore he's been since 2004.

Any moderate or liberal voters he might be able to sway during the debates though, are going to be scared off by Palin. Myself included. She's a deal-breaker. The fact that Guuliani was doing the post-debate spin for the GOP, and Biden was front-and-center for the Dems was very telling.

It's a shame, he chose Palin to reach out the GOP "base", who didn't become their base until 2000 when Rove went after them, and in the process alienated pretty much the rest of America.

Meanwhile, old-school republicans and true conservatives continued to get slapped in the face by their own part.

Sorry for the harsh language, but the truth is: That c*** has to go.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Thank goodnees for the net,

Everyone thought thier candidate handled themselves well.

I was shocked when McCain brought up the torture issue. It may have been in part to Rice's recent statements which flew by the rest of the world.

I went out and got wasted. Totally missed the debate. I need to find some video.

MSNBC.com has the whole thing.

It was funny I was talking to a friend of mine who is an older conservative.
    He was trying to tell me that McCain "schooled" Obama with that (incorrect btw) statement about Eisenhower

To wit I replied. If McCain is so tough why couldn't he look at Obama?

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    To wit I replied. If McCain is so tough why couldn't he look at Obama?
    McCain doesn't like black people.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Is Romney black?

He couldn't look at Romney during the repubican debates.

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform
    McCain doesn't like black people.
    Kanye, is that you?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    I would not have agreed with you before this debate. McCain did very well, and provided solid reasons for his economic and foreign policy stances. I'll admit, he didn't come across as being the GOP party whore he's been since 2004.

Any moderate or liberal voters he might be able to sway during the debates though, are going to be scared off by Palin. Myself included. She's a deal-breaker. The fact that Guuliani was doing the post-debate spin for the GOP, and Biden was front-and-center for the Dems was very telling.

It's a shame, he chose Palin to reach out the GOP "base", who didn't become their base until 2000 when Rove went after them, and in the process alienated pretty much the rest of America.

Meanwhile, old-school republicans and true conservatives continued to get slapped in the face by their own part.

Sorry for the harsh language, but the truth is: That c*** has to go.
    Agree with all of the above.

Funny morning - the lawyers in our legal dept. are all arguing about the debate; they're all solid, died-in-the-wool repubs, but the best one could say is that McCain looked like a football team that slept through the first half. Another one said she's just not going to vote this election! Never thought I'd hear anything like this from them...

<puts ear back to office door>
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Just watched the latest. McCain came across as a clueless *sshole. He's just a f*cking parrot.
    McCain: Squaaak no preconditions.
    Obama: Well no its actually diplomacy which advisors on both sides agree with.
    McCain: Squaaak no preconditions.

I was really going to be fine with either one being president but for the first time McCain actually does resemble Bush.

I think he (McCain) thru out a wild card. It shows desparation.

He stated that he would bail out homeowners who got sucked in by the subprime lenders. Does he expect to buy up every morgage in America?
    Does he really think the government has the financial wherewithall to issue new loans to homeowners based on the current property value?

He's insane if he thinks it will stabalize the homeowners market.
    During the boom contractors build more houses then the population could support.
    The glut of the housing industry is two-fold Two many houses have already been built thus devaluing the housing market. Most homebuyers were just skimping by before the rate hikes. They haven't seen thiere incomes adjusted for inflation. They don't have the buying power to purchase existing houses let alone create another housing bubble.

National Banks aren't lending to other banks right now meaning small businesses which need loans to get thru lean seasons and pay for supplies and labor don't have the loans to do so. Meaning workers who haven't gotten raises in years not only can't expect them soon but also many will face layoffs.

Absorbing the cost of every homeowner with a morgage will not save or boost the economy, as well it's not fiscally prudent.

After McCains statements on how Medicare/medicade recipients will not recieve anything close to what they are getting now he can kiss Florida goodbye.

What if that $700 billion went right to the people in effect? As in paying off their debt to the lender (but not in full). Wouldn't that money trickle its way right up to the top essentially bailing out everyone instead of just wall street?
    I'm not a fan of bailing out people who didn't read the fine print but shouldn't we put out the fire before we address that? Just throwing that out there.

And whats with the spending freeze on all but essential government programs? Aren't they ALL supposed to be essential? Do you honestly think we'd allow a single one of them to be restarted if its proven we can get by without them?
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 10-09-2008 at 03:00 PM.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    So, what about people like me? I bought smart, got into my house at the right time, and now my house is worth almost double what I paid for it. Does that mean that my mortgage will go up? FK THAT!!!

This is just a handout for stupid people.....a reward for trying to get over on the have's. I don't buy it!

If they really wanted to fix the crisis the Government should have properly nationalized the banks, fired the ceo's without compensation.

Then set low fixed rates and forgiven 3 months of late charges.
    The homeowner now has a morgage they can live with. The government gets a return on its investment. Sure the homeowner did lose some value on the property but overtime that equity would rise back up.

The housing cycle is usually ten years. If you are paying a morgage and intend to own your home for at least 10-15 years you will be in much better financial shape then if your home is foreclosed.

Actually re handout for stupid people.

Not really. Many were scammed by preditory lenders(like Rock Financial) into believing they had to buy an adjustable rate sub prime morgage.
    The truth of the matter is many of them were eligible for prime rate. However the lender didn't state that when the purchase was made. This hasn't gone unnoticed by many state attorneys

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...06/daily6.html

Not to dismiss predatory lending, but it's always existed.

Part of that problem is education. It shows that we hand out credit and loans to easily not only without vetting the borrower's ability to repay, but to people who either:

a.) disregard risk when they're fully aware of it or
    b.) have no idea the level of risk they're taking, and don't understand personal finance

Americans are bombarded with advertising and lifestyles that they can't afford, yet will go out of their way to attain. What kind of education are parents giving their kids TODAY about money so this doesn't happen again in a generation?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Please tell me that you don't buy into the "Whoa is me, I was scammed!" crap!! What a way to shift the blame from you to someone else...

That is becoming the NEW American Way. Ridiculous...!

When will people realize that taking responsibility for their actions is the only way that we will ever get out of this mess. I mean everyone, from the top down. Idealistic, I know...

Me? No. I don't.

I'm saying that a lack of education is a contributing factor to this though, and needs to be addressed given the nature of our economy. Predatory lending requires that people either be a.) ignorant or b.) between a rock and a hard place.

I have no more sympathy for people who didn't know better, or got in over their heads unknowingly than I do for people who knew the risk and disregarded it. If seeing the size of the loan amount doesn't make you stop and think "Hmm...this is a major financial obligation, I should be sure about it and do some research", you should give up on life.

I probably did more research in buying a TV than a good number of people who took interest-only loans.

I'm an apt dweller I've never felt I had long term financial security so I never bought a house. That being said if I did so in my 20's the house the morgage would have been paid off by now and I'd have spendable income.

Many people who thought thier jobs were secure and that they would be able to own thier own home were sucked in by relators into buying more house then they needed. "Oh don't worrry incomes go up as you age you'll be able to make those future payments" And that was entirely true in the 60's 70's and 80's people got COLA and generally made more every year dues to raises.
    That isn't true today. As the bubble got bigger the houses they lived in increased in value They looked around and said "Hey I've got equity this place is worth something" and idiots like Motley Fool told them to refinance the morgage and by nice things for home. And they did. Then the raises/cola didn't happen. Jobs were shipped overseas and the bubble burst.
    When it did the value everyone told them thier house was worth changed. They had a house that was worth more then the morgage.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    How many watched the final debate last night?
    Other than watching the VPs with Palin's whole "folksy" act with all the winking at the camera, this was the most entertaining of all the debates.

McCain finally went on the nasty in response to criticism from his base.
    The first half McCain was all offense and forced Obama to stay on defensive until the debate got elevated.
    I was a little disappointed that Obama played it safe and didn't call out McCain on the laundry list of bald-faced lies he was throwing out there all night, or take the huge opening to sink Palin when they were asked to compare VP choices.
    As satisfying as it would've been to witness, Obama stayed above the fray and stuck to the gameplan of not changing the momentum which it looks like he accomplished this morning.
    McCain got nasty and did what he was supposed to do, but according to the pundits and the polls it wasn't enough to be a gamechanger.

CNN was showing a 60/30 split in Obama's favor on who "won" the debate, and other polls are showing Obama leading overall by a few more points even in the red states.

In the end, I think Obama stayed calm, ontrack and looked Presidential when trying to steer the debate toward the real issues while McCain, on the otherhand, couldn't keep his composure, was blinking and ticcing so much he looked like he had Tourette's, and just came off as really desperate, meanspirited, and very petty with no grasp of the big picture.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

same sh*t he did last debate. State something, get corrected, state the same thing again. <parrot>Squaaack! I have no clue </parrot>
    He just acts like he's secretly planning to buy an easy button from Staples. Imagine how he'll feel when he learns they don't really work.
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 10-16-2008 at 12:30 PM.