A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: custom flv skin

Lightbulb custom flv skin

Hi,
    I want to add a differnt flv skin, one that does not come with flash CS 3. When I pick the "add custom skin URL" and I pick http://localhost/myskin.swf I get the following error:

Code:
    Error #2044: Unhandled skinError:. text=Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert flash.display::AVM1Movie@c55c791 to flash.display.Sprite.
    I also tried to put everything in the same folder without the url, but still get this error. Am I doing something really wrong? Does anybody know how this is done? Also, how to I use the debugger in Flash CS 3 to find out what AVM1Movie@c55c791 means?

Thanks so much,
    Johnny

The error is letting you know that you're trying to use a virtual machine 1 object in a virtual machine 2 environment. It won't be happy with it at all.

The skin you're importing was made using AS 1.0 or 2.0, and you're trying to use it in AS 3.0. You may get it to play, but functions and variables will be ignored, which will make it useless. You have two options.
    1. Find a skin created in AS 3.0
    or
    2. Change from 3.0 to 2.0 in your flash file.

Hope this helps.
    Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Hi, thanks so much for your help. I am going to try this again but using AS 2! I tend to just pick AS 3 by default, always forgetting about the huge changes from AS 2 to AS 3.

I let you know how things work out tonight`-`
    Thanks again for your help`-`
    Johnny