A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] [CS3] Can't Preview In Browser

resolved [RESOLVED] [CS3] Can't Preview In Browser

I have a photography site that I designed in Frontpage. I consists of the index page, which lists many categories, a couple of which are: "wildlife", "people", etc.

In Dreamweaver I opened a new folder and copied the contents of the Frontpage site into this folder. I then redesign the tables in DW, and inserted the thumbnails, links , etc. I renamed it and saved it. I assumed that was my root directory, because it holds the contents of the site.

The new site works just great! Using some my photos, I built some Flash movies that were sized to fit into some of the table cells. They also played successfully in those cells. But DW, in it's infinite wisdom, has created it's own root directory and gave it the same name as the directory that holds my redesigned site and it's contents. And that..... is where it is putting the Flash movies. Why is it doing that?

I don't know if that's the problem, but when I try to Preview In Browser, the cell is blank.

Can anyone tell me where I've strayed off the path????? How do I designate the directory (that holds all my site contents) as the root directory for this new site?

Thanks... oslavens
    Last edited by oslavens; 10-09-2008 at 10:39 AM.

DW does that. But, it allows you to pick the domains root yourself so that when you do things like embed a swf using DW controls it will copy it there. You can go to Sites>Manage Sites or Site>New Site and set that up. Also, grab the flash movies and put them in your new root that you made yourself. DW automatically uses its ****ty version of swf Object called Run_AC_FL something long....... I don't know exactly what it's called because it sucks. But, that is a javascript file that is imported into your html head. You need the path to that js file to be correct for the swf to show up too.
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!

Can't Preview In Browser

Thank you for those suggestions. Here's where I am at this moment: The movie files: .js, .swf, & .html are in the directory (winterscreen2) that contains all my site elements.

But, I had to drag them in there because, when I created the Flash movies, Flash created a second winterscreen2 folder and stored them in it. I dragged the .swf and .html files from this folder into My original winterscreen2 folder thinking was that it was best to have everything pertaining to that page in one single folder. To avoid confusion, I then renamed the folder that Flash created because I didn't want DW using it as a source. All the movies are working beautifully in Dreamweaver so DW is obviously going to MY folder and not the Flash folder.

But when I click on Preview In Browser (I.E.) the html page appears but the cell with the .swf file just has an empty box with a little icon in the upper left corner.

If I right click in the box where the movie is supposed to be and choose Properties I get: Untitled Document - File Protocol - HTML Document - Not Encripted - Address: file://cdocuments%20and% 20settings/administrator/my%20documents/my% - size 137818 bytes - modified 10/7/2008 -

The adventure continues.... Thanking you in advance for your help.... oslavens

The one thing you haven't told me that you've done is to change the html to know where to look for that js file. Somewhere in the html, probably in the head, there should be a line that looks like this:

PHP Code:
    <script src="somepath/AC_FL_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script
    You'll want to change the content inside of the src quotes to point to the new path of the .js file. If the html and js file are in the same folder then it should look like:
    PHP Code:
    <script src="AC_FL_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script
    Also, in the html there will be a spot in the code that has where the swf resides. What I do is go to edit>find selection (When you're in code view) and search for .swf . You'll find a section of code that has the embed source for your code. Anywhere you see the name of your swf, even if it doesn't contain the .swf extension, change it to the correct path of your swf.

If the swf and html page are in the same directory then just type in the name of the swf and that is all that should be there. Once you do this it should work.
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!

can't preview in browser

Thank you Mneil, I'll try to implement your suggestions. When I solve this issue I'll post my solution... oslavens