A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How I made & blew money over the summer

How I made & blew money over the summer

so im 20yrs old and played poker for a living. I know u guys prob wont believe this bcuz my credibility is close to none on this forum but i love you all so i think i should start telling the truth more often.

I have a few friends who are my age who have made millions off poker. We all live in the same town. I dont know them THAT well, like we dont hang out a lot, but we do discuss strategy and stuff. they're also really smart academically so they're not completely dumb.

anyways... back to my point... over the summer instead of working a job (ive never had a job fwiw) i decided to play poker. my graph looked something like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31301657@N02/2930286229/ (ignore first 2500 games since that is when i had no clue how to play)

lol.

I eventually got barred from the site i was playing so i had to deal with a lot of bs for a few weeks. I ended up buying a new laptop and installing another internet line in my house so i'd get new ip and stuff. I continued to blow away money buying a bunch of stuff and just going out everyday to eat/party @ pretty pricey restaurants. i'd also pick up the tab like 90% of the time i'd say. Anyways... towards the end of summer I had something like 20k left which i guess was OK. But then I had a few mishaps in where I'd just blow a lot of money like 5k at a time because i was just tilted in life... having to go back to school, buying stuff for my parents etc..

I also ran into this girl and that tilted me like crazy because i kinda gained a lot of weight and i look a lot different & it didnt seem like she wanted to talk to me so i was mad b/c she used to loooove me haha

k anyways thats not important. I lost like 5k more, then continued to spend, continued to lose, and lose more online however not playing the same stakes as i was before... instead of playing tournaments, i moved into cash games... and not regular cash games, but high stakes cash games. I would shortstack 10/20 nl or higher up to 25/50nl which is minimum 1k buyin. I honestly think i'm a winner at 5/10nl... but i dont think i am a winner at 10/20 nl... especially shortstacking.. just giving a bunch of action. I grinded 5/10nl and 100$ sit and goes for a few weeks and ended up making like 15k in 2 weeks. I figured that If i only play 5/10 and 100$ sngs, i wouldnt need so much money... do i can afford to gamble at higher stakes where I dont have an edge and hopefully get lucky cuz its most likely going to be a 50/50 chance... u know what?

I had two 4000$ pots each where i was an 85% favorite to win and lost them both... its kinda sick, but also normal to lose 15k in two days at those stakes...

I have this all documented in a word file, but i stopped logging because i dont have MS word registered lol. I'm in school now, and i realized how hard it is to play poker when you're in school full time. I am pretty confident in my poker abilities but i'm kinda starting again because I blew a lot of money doing really stupid stuff.

I am still ranked in the top 300 in official poker rankings out of like 800 000 ppl, so i have no doubt i can come back but its going to be a wild tripp

I can post a lot more graphs to show my credibility but still... it sucks cuz im so stupid with money management.

oh yeah, that's not all the money i made over the summer in the graph because that graph doesnt show how much i made/lost in cash
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

It seems to me that you suck at life. You're more than happy shell out huge amounts of money for a laptop or picking up tabs, but you can't be bothered to buy Word, which is probably a sensible investment if you're still at school.

As I read this I actually thought Silver had somehow came across your password and posted this as a joke. That was, until I got to the end and there was no punchline except your hilariously messed up life.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Not being disrespectful... but seriously seek help. Just find a good group, work on some issues.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Intermediate Game Dev pseudobot's Avatar
    ^Yeah, there are a few Helplines related to Gambling. Please take a look in the phone book, you might be a lot happier with your life after that.
    Seriously.
    Needs an update...

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    I for one think you are cool for having the skill....... wanna discuss me some strategy?? but, set limits. I really don't know how you can play that many games and go to school at the samt time. It's either one or the other, without concentration you'll suck at both. And I think school is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by tiGRAN=-2001
    I for one think you are cool for having the skill....... wanna discuss me some strategy?? but, set limits. I really don't know how you can play that many games and go to school at the samt time. It's either one or the other, without concentration you'll suck at both. And I think school is more important.
    I'll explain the system to you:

Go to school, lie about Poker games on internet, repeat.

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alty29
    I'll explain the system to you:

Go to school, lie about Poker games on internet, repeat.
    If that's a made up story, I choose to believe it

This is how the story ends.
    Thread closed