A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PS3 getting flash9 support

PS3 getting flash9 support

yup, thought this is pretty cool, ps3 is getting flash 9 player support with an upcoming firmware update:
    http://kotaku.com/5063211/ps3-firmware-25-gets-flash-9

Good news.
    But did somebody heard of an exciting flash app on the Wii? Each time I tried to play a flash game on the Wii I was very disapointed.

There are several nice games mostly made in flash on the consoles. Those are usually ported using some middleware though, in return the flash content runs at way better performance on many ends and developers can use the controllers and other system features propperly.
    The problem with flash content that is run as is on a web page is that it already has bad performance (compared to other technologies) and even way worse performance when run on a console which usually has way less ram than an average pc, add to that that the browser only gets a fraction of the system powers (then also that the Wii itself is the weakest console regarding technical capabilities), then to that that the Wii only has an older flash player version and to that that you need to use some hacky manners to be able to make use of the controllers and well, you got many of the reasons why there are not many awesome wii specific browser flash games.
    Its nice to play around with, but yeah, few invest lots of efforts into it due to lack of ressources, money or just the limitations of the environment.

Student
    with that news I assume that adobe finally released the FP9 sdk for third party hardware.
    The reason why it was limited to a somewhat flash player 7 alike player on most platforms if it reached that level was if I am not mistake because they never finished the sdk (slacking off?).

I expect other hardware platforms to follow soon including many windows mobile based phones.
    This might be also connected to the news that adobe was working on a flashplayer for the iPhone - maybe they noticed that pushing the non desktop player is a matter of importance right now.

I assume that adobe might work now as well on a new flash lite with more scripting abilities

Awesome news! I can finally listen to Pandora on my PS3

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    That's pretty cool news. I tried making a couple games for my wii to test out and wasn't that impressed when I found out the player version. Good to hear its the current version.

Student
    wii != FP9 aka AS3
    its just PS3 for now

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Ow yeah that's what I meant. I'm happy to hear the PS3 will have the more recent player as apposed to the Wii.

Sweet. Too bad they didn't wait for 10 though.
    Let's hope they give us a API to use the controllers for games and not just make it a part of the web browser to view videos.
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

well,it wouldn´t have made sense to wait for flash 10 player because usually it takes a while till Adobe releases the fully updated sdk and all so then it would have taken ages till it would have received a new player. In either case way better than everything out there on other platforms (other than mac and pc).
    They surely will not give full on access to use all the features of the controller,let´s see what subset is usable to which degree.

Student
    that would be their commercial death anyway- if people play quality (not crappy) free games online instead of buying them- same for nintendo.

well,the console manufacturers are in a tough spot and that will only get tougher, never before have there been so many freely playable games on the web and the count is raising at explosive rate, its also easier than ever before for indies to get their games out, in the past few years we´ve also all witnessed how making flash games turned from "is there money in this at all?" to "some people do it as hobby,others for money for a small thing and others earn hundreds of thousands/some even millions".
    Now we´re in the phase where non coders can make games easily with online editors.
    Really tougher getting times if you want to sell 60 bucks retail games.
    Probably the biggest reason why the console manufacturers are opening up to indies more and more, they´d rather like to have one make games for psn,wiiware or xbla than make web games

Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    well,the console manufacturers are in a tough spot and that will only get tougher, never before have there been so many freely playable games on the web and the count is raising at explosive rate, its also easier than ever before for indies to get their games out, in the past few years we´ve also all witnessed how making flash games turned from "is there money in this at all?" to "some people do it as hobby,others for money for a small thing and others earn hundreds of thousands/some even millions".
    Now we´re in the phase where non coders can make games easily with online editors.
    Really tougher getting times if you want to sell 60 bucks retail games.
    Probably the biggest reason why the console manufacturers are opening up to indies more and more, they´d rather like to have one make games for psn,wiiware or xbla than make web games
    They definitely want a cut somehow but manufacturers, especially Nintendo gets tons of profit from just consoles sold so if there are awesome Flash games that people are ready to buy the console for then it should be a win win.
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

FYI, Pandora still doesn't work on the PS3 POS browser...