A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Free AS3 Scroll Bar Class

Wink Free AS3 Scroll Bar Class

Hey Guys,

I've just finished a free AS3 scroll bar class for those that think using the built in Flash components are too heavy or too stock looking. The class makes no use of images and draws everything out via code. Play around with the little demo to generate the look you want.

I'd also appreciate any advice or bugs that are found, but this seems to be a pretty solid build thus far. I don't have mouse wheel scrolling built in. Possibly for a future release.

Also, if there is a better place to add this on Flash Kit let me know. It's not really a tutorial so I didn't want to put it under that section. Hope you like it.

HexLuv Scroll Bar
    Last edited by blackout1721; 12-10-2008 at 06:39 PM.
    _______
    What happens to your lap when you stand up?
    My Site - HexLuv.com

trace("AKA: Biro Barna");
    Here's my custom scrollbar class, maybe it will help as inspiration. Good job.
    http://www.flashforum.ro/viewtopic.p...3&start=0#p743

| Windows MSN: birobarna [at] hotmail [dot] com | Skype: barna.biro |
    WebLog: http://blog.wisebisoft.com/ |
    | Software Developer / Flash & Flex Developer | Student ( Computer Science ) | Interested in: Sharing Knowledge |
    |
    Romanian Adobe Flash, Flex, AIR Forum: http://www.flashforum.ro/
    | By perseverance the snail reached the ark. |

Will moderate for beer
    I always appreciate these code-donation/show-off threads, but I think official policy is to put them in the sticky resources thread up top.

Questions: Is this vertical only? Does it require any special container? If someone took it upon themselves to add mouse wheel actions, would you want that contributed back?

In playing around with the demo, I got this after choosing a different foreground color and then trying to increase the corner radius by the up arrow:

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert flash.events::Event@1361f8e1 to fl.events.ColorPickerEvent.
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
    at fl.controls::NumericStepper/setValue()
    at fl.controls::NumericStepper/stepperPressHandler()
    at fl.controls::BaseButton/startPress()
    at fl.controls::BaseButton/mouseEventHandler()

@5Tons

My bad. I figured there was probably a better place for it. Do you think I should move it up there? Maybe a mod can move it or delete this one.

I currently only have it working vertically. I suppose I could work one up that does a horizontal scroll. I suppose I don't find myself scrolling horizontally all that much so I didn't even think about it.

If someone adds the mouse wheel scroll let me know! I'll probably get around to it, but if someone can figure quicker than I can that's awesome. I'm not concerned too much about the credit. I just want to give back to the community.

I've just been using the scroll bar on textFields. I originally developed it because I usually load all my text externally and all the other scroll bars I found required you to hard code the text in. I felt this made it a bit more flexible.

Crap...I uploaded the wrong file to my site. 5Tons you were working on my demo file and not the class itself. Sorry. That's my fault. I'm surprised you got anything to work. The correct file has been uploaded now. Embarrassing...
    Last edited by blackout1721; 10-20-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    _______
    My Site - HexLuv.com

Quote Originally Posted by 5TonsOfFlax
    I always appreciate these code-donation/show-off threads, but I think official policy is to put them in the sticky resources thread up top.

Questions: Is this vertical only? Does it require any special container? If someone took it upon themselves to add mouse wheel actions, would you want that contributed back?

In playing around with the demo, I got this after choosing a different foreground color and then trying to increase the corner radius by the up arrow:

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert flash.events::Event@1361f8e1 to fl.events.ColorPickerEvent.
    at fl.controls::NumericStepper/setValue()
    at fl.controls::NumericStepper/stepperPressHandler()
    at fl.controls::BaseButton/startPress()
    at fl.controls::BaseButton/mouseEventHandler()
    This has been fixed in the demo. I was passing in a ColorPickerEvent instead of a plain old Event.

BTW: I love the new GUI in Flash CS4. It feels sooooo much more polished than CS3. I'm still working through all the other updates in it...so far so good.
    _______
    My Site - HexLuv.com

Buğra ÖZDEN
    This is an other flash scroll;

Download page