A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: <application preloader=Really slow?>

<application preloader=Really slow?>

Just curious, I build an entirely Actionscript custom pre-loader, set it up in front of a dummy flex file with a 5meg embedded image so you can check the preloader out.

I implemented it by extending the IpreloaderDisplay class, and setting it up via the root <application> tag.

I notice a 1 to 1.5 second delay between going to the site, and seeing the preloader with an empty grey screen displaying. The thing is is that I took out the custom preloader declaration, and the default flex preloader bar has the same delay, so i'm fairly certain that it's the way the flex pre-loading operation works.

Is there a better way to do this, I would much prefer to not have any delay between hitting enter and seeing the preloader show up.

In case anyone is curious to see what I am talking about, it's at www.ds-designs.org.

Thanks for any help!

Preloader ....

Hi there,

Use in your Application tag a Bg color
    Code:
    backgroundColor="#000000"
    so that the standard screen color can't be seen. I believe that you won’t have that problem ongoing if you would make a dummy set up on line of your app. so that it could read out your app rather the 5mB dummy load. I had the same problem with a dummy load but once I changed over to the test app. it was OK. I like the preloader but also have to say that you would not want to view your preloader until has downloaded 5mB should it not only be there for a split second ??? giving the visitor a visual effect-introducing your company or else. If this is an ongoing problem check your app. what file size it is ??? Have you got one main file only ??? Regards aktell

I like the preloader but also have to say that you would not want to view your preloader until has downloaded 5mB should it not only be there for a split second
    Thanks for the tip about the BGColor, thats a good idea. I'm not sure I understand this part though? I want the preloader to display as soon as a user hits the URL, and load the rest of the site behind it. Eventually there will be a continue to site button / animation. I'm just not confident that the artwork and code is polished enough yet =)

Thanks for the help amigo, I am hoping you are right about it changing when I put the real app behind it.