A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CS3 video encoder makes AVI look bad

CS3 video encoder makes AVI look bad

Hello,

I looked around the tutorials but couldn't figure this one out.

I've made a 3d aimation in a 3d program that outputs a .AVI, I use the flash CS3 video encoder to turn the .AVI into a .FLV but it makes the quality pretty bad, I'm guess because the codec isn't very good?

I've tried increasing all the settings to make it look better but its no good. Is there a better encoder out there?

NOTE: When I imported the .FLV to the stage it looks even worse I think?

Any ideas?

Using Flash CS3 version 9

what settings did you use to encode the AVI?

what settings are you using to encode the FLV?

---------------------------------------------
    word to the wise - the FLV codec is not best suited for animated/fast graphics. Most people who want to showcase their motion graphics work do so using the excellent H264/quicktime combination.

encode AVI

NTSC D1 4/3 720x486

encode FLV

Flash 8 -DV Large 700kbps

NOTE: I embeded the FLV into the timeline? Could this of made the quality bad?

so did the AVI include any compression?

you won't lose image quality if you embed onto the timeline, but playback speed and audio synch will be affected in "longer" (ie over 30-40 seconds) videos.

Hhmmm thats good to know.

I have been using the Cinepak Codec by Radius to make the AVI in my 3d program, but I have a codec that says full-uncompressed? Do you think the full-uncompressed would be better?

Thanks

yes. the thing to remember is: Garbage In, Garbage Out. Start off with an uncompressed AVI file and go from there. Otherwise you're just losing information from your file each time you make changes to it.

so, if you use an uncompressed AVI file as an input for your FLV file, you're more than likely to end up with a much better FLV. It won't make everything magically better (for example, you might like to add more keyframes than the default setting to your FLV encode settings if you have some fast moving images), but it will give you a better chance of producing something that looks good.

Thanks for the help!

Uhh... that must've been a really short DVD. No offense, but if it was a proper encrypted full-length DVD then it would be impossible to rip and convert it in such a short amount of time. A time from 1 hour to 4 hours is more typical on modern dual-core CPUs.

But at the same time a 20 minute video shouldn't take 3.5 hours to convert to Flash 8 video either. Not sure what's going wrong there. Take a look at the Flash video settings.
    .................................................. .................
    New York Web design
    Website design

Quote Originally Posted by hkp819
    Uhh... that must've been a really short DVD. No offense, but if it was a proper encrypted full-length DVD then it would be impossible to rip and convert it in such a short amount of time. A time from 1 hour to 4 hours is more typical on modern dual-core CPUs.

But at the same time a 20 minute video shouldn't take 3.5 hours to convert to Flash 8 video either. Not sure what's going wrong there. Take a look at the Flash video settings.
    .................................................. .................
    New York Web design
    Website design
    oops...wrong thread?