A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun Project for Professional or Amateurs.

Fun Project for Professional or Amateurs.

Hey everyone,

I would love to do an animation thread and bring artists together to make a fun and creative piece.

Would anyone be interested in doing a animation thread? Here's the deal.....

We could do an animation thread of 5 seconds per person.

One person can start the file, and then we can pass it along to the next person to see what happens to the piece.

I think this would be a great way for professionals who are busy with client work to have a chance to let out some creative juices, also this is a great oppurtunity for amatures to practice and actually look through the file to see how others work. I have no problem with anyone studying my animations as long as no one is trying to steal work or pass it off as their own.

Your skill level does not matter, if anyone is interested in doing this, please let me know and I would love to invest some free time into getting this started and creating fun work.

The format would be animation at 24 fps. and each person animates ONLY 5 seconds. (have a very small watermark/logo/ or signiture) in the corner your piece so we can look to see who did what.

This would be a non profit piece, and strictly a collaborate effort. Any rights to the work in this document would be whatever you create, so no one could make a profit off of this unless you only use your own work taken outside of this project.

Hopefully this turns into a fun project! Let me know if your interested.

I wish you luck, but I have some words of advice:

1) Don't put up multiple postings. It's *really* annoying.
    2) Get a spell-checker -- it's "amateurs", "...if you're interested...", and so on
    3) If you want to avoid the "clips edited together by a manic chimp" look, you
    are probably going to need some kind of theme and/or guiding principles.

I'm sure you are familiar with the 11secondclub. Maybe you could supply a longer
    soundtrack which everyone has to animate a 5-second segment to?

Just some things to think about, anyway...

Thanks for the input goliard.

Sorry for the poor spelling. I was on a small break and quickly posted the thread as a rough idea.
    As to the multiple posting's....... They were all created at the exact same time. One could not logically think that it was intentional.... but could assume a possible forum error?

An overall soundtrack would be ideal, and as to guiding principles, I would much rather keep it experimental to give more animators an opportunity to be involved.

I’m pretty sure everyone would try to keep it following together to the best of their ability.

I tried to look at your profile for a link of some possible work that you have done, to see if this artform intrest's you but could not find any. This could be a great learning expierence if you have no animation background. Would love to have you aboard Interested?

Would love to have you aboard...Interested?
    You called my bluff! Sure, put me down for 5 seconds...

Sweet!
    Thanks bro. Once we get a few more people lined up. I will start a file and then pass along to you. Hopefully we can keep it rolling. I'll open it with a traditional Disney Style but done in flash of course and then you can roll with it however you want. After a few people has worked on it, we can add an additional 5 seconds to the clip once it comes back around to us. I'll keep it character based as a short intro and then its up to you how you want to transition your scene. You can keep the characters on screen or I will create some sort of special effect to open the scene up for you. Not sure yet.
    Thanks again.

Anyone else interested?

Moved to the Arena since this kind of stuff is just made for this area.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Moved to the Arena since this kind of stuff is just made for this area.

Thanks Gerbick,

I don't want this project to become a competition though, but rather a coming together of animators collaboraiting on the same piece. I hope being in the arena does not turn people away. I think of Gladiator's and bloodshed when I think of the Arena.

I only have Flash 8 -- hope that's not a problem?

"Arena" can give this area of the forum a misleading pretext. In the few years I've been active here, I've seen the most amazing work being produced as a result of great comraderie.

Count me in on this one. I haven't sunk my teeth into Flash in quite some time.

Np. Goliard, I will save out as Flash 8.

Thanks for joining in Zacaboo! Anyone have a preference to the soundtrack?

Something with a beat to it I would imagine would be the easiest so if anyone wants to just experiment with flashing shapes and colors to the beat could also participate. If anyone has a favorite song or beat they would like, let me know and we can use that. Anything is fine with me. .... Slow, Fast , Eeri .. or if anyone has mixed their own music and would like to join in can use that.

A song soundtrack would be good to animate to -- maybe Country and Western? (I'm definitely not a C&W fan, but they tend to be narrative songs, which might help). Some corny lyrics might be funny...?

we have done this before. channel surfing or something like it
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Thanks SilverX!
    That is a great use of collaboration, but it seemed a bit structured and less exparimental. Im assuming everyone was given a script, animated 15 seconds and then sent it to 1 person to edit it all together.

The benifit of this piece is the animators will use only 1 file and pass it along. The method is similar to starting a drawing and handing it over to someone else to finish without giving any guidlines.

This will force the animator's to think about how to transition from one scene to the next.

Another great thing this piece offers is that animator's can actually look through the file to see how others work. Re-use/Alter footage (Only during their time) and even study the frames if they like.

Thanks again for sharing, I love to see different styles all using the same tool.

Any request on music guys? I plan on starting something over the weekend

the only thing set in the two i linked was that it had to be a short. no script. no structure. just a short animation that would be pieced to gether to make it look like a person was channel surfing.

Ah cool. So everyone sent in clips to one person who then edited all the work together and structured it in an order of what he/she felt would work best and then created consistant transitions to unifiy the entire piece?

The only similiarities these two pieces share is that they are a colaboration of artists, and it will be animated.

It will not have the same structure / theme, and it will not be Edited in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by apscalmato
    Any request on music guys?
    I'd like to suggest "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash. He had a great voice, and it's a funny song with a narrative. At 3 minutes plus (or however long it is) that is a lot of five second segments, but aim high, that's what I say...

i'd personally suggest having only instrumental music. This opens up the creative possibilities more by not having to follow the story in the music.

Agreed.

I'm still learning...
    i'm interested in this.