A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: why use movie clips at all?

participant

why use movie clips at all?

I animate short skits for a children's education game (rewards & stimulus). For example, a cat character will choose the toy robot that's green & if they're correct the green robot will light up dance or walk around etc.

My boss is considering having all actions take place in the main timeline. Please help me word a couple examples/arguments against this. We already can't use AS, but this will greatly hinder what can be animated how quickly IMO.

Or am I wrong? Thanks!

participant
    (His argument against is that is it may increase time for those programming the structure. This might be true to some degree. That's why I need to show how it will handicap animation if indeed it will.)

if you have to move everything..or re-size anything.. you would have to do it all frame by frame..layer by layer... nesting yoru animations in a moveiClip is ALWAYS the best practice IMHO..

and what do you mean NO AS? how does a cat character choose the green robot then? how do you know he chose the right one?

your boss doesnt have a very good idea of anything in my opinion..

it is MUCH easier to have a nested animation seperate form each other.. so code can easily tell that object to play while leaving everything else alone..

if you have everything on the main timeline.. then you must duplicate and change all other elements just to accommodate that one object..

participant
    The swf's are processed by another type of code. I wish it were otherwise, but I'm the new kid here. It IS possible for me to persuade them to allow movie clips, if my argument is strong enough.

We can use symbols, which would help with some moving/resizing issues, but I'm still dead-set against this.

Can anyone confirm:

if I want the contents of layer X to be repositioned up and to the left, there's no way to affect all the keyframes of that layer, correct?

Would having all animations on the main timeline affect file size?

Thanks