Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Karma...

Karma...

Do you believe in it?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I'm still learning...
    like past life and future life? no.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    I believe in karma. At my first company the boss screwed over his best friend and partner, then retrenched 3 divisions (including multimedia) for no reason; only to appoint his girlfriend as a multimedia designer a couple of months later - which is illegal.

Two weeks later he sold his apartment, and made a mistake on the contract - that cost him 200k in taxes. Two weeks after that he sold another place, and made the exact same mistake - this time costing him 350k.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    I believe in karma. At my first company the boss screwed over his best friend and partner, then retrenched 3 divisions (including multimedia) for no reason; only to appoint his girlfriend as a multimedia designer a couple of months later - which is illegal.

Two weeks later he sold his apartment, and made a mistake on the contract - that cost him 200k in taxes. Two weeks after that he sold another place, and made the exact same mistake - this time costing him 350k.
    - Hope it made you happy Napalm !!! God has a way of keeping watch on people and reminding them when they do such atrocities.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Napalm - that sounds more like idiocy than karma. And why is it illegal to hire his girlfriend?

I think karma is a real - phenomenon, in the fact that guilt makes people do odd things, like (in Napalm's case) lose money on real estate after trying to screw over those who have helped them get where they are.

Problem is that karma only works on those with a conscience. Overall, it's a decidedly unreliable way of ensuring the universe's cosmic balance of right and wrong.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    It was illegal because entire division were closed down - when that happens the company is prohibited from hiring someone for 2 years to do a similar job without offering the job first the retrenched people.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

I have always thought about it when things good/bad happen but always brushed it off. Recently(last couple years) I have REALLY begun to believe in it. I try to avoid anything bad now in fear that something bad will come back around and bite my ass. I try being as nice and helpful as possible.

Since the second I landed home I have had a pretty bad stream of luck and am hoping that it will upturn soon as some events that are about to happen really need to work out...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

yes i do.

A couple of weekends ago i was visiting a friend at college in new york. A group of us were walking down a hallway after a night of drinking, one girl who hadnt noticed before said that my hat was stupid and that the patriots sucked. About three minutes later as we were walking down some steps her bag for nor real reason the handles ripped and all her **** fell down the stairs.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I don't believe in karma as any kind of separate force or energy. But, I do believe there is a correlation between the concept of karma and what happens to people.

I think it's simply that the odds of good things happening for a person increase when they are good to others. People observe those actions and qualities and want to return the favor, defend them, offer opportunities, invest in knowing them, etc. Whereas the opposite is true of people that mistreat others. The attitudes that allow a person to do bad things have a way of revealing themselves in a personality, even before any bad deeds are done. So, I think people detect that and are more likely to avoid the person, less likely to help them avoid mistakes, etc.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

doItLikeThis
    silverx2's incident reminds me:-

I was joking around with my friends when my friend's elder sister told me that I should grow up and be more serious in life and should be focused all the time, all in a rather rude and serious tone for no reasons. 5 mins later she tripped on a staircase at the market, fell face first and her sandle broke, plus the food she was carrying was rolling on road. Kinda instant.
    -Aditya

To apply my theory to silver's incident, the reason it appears as karma is that silver was inspired to be pleased by her misfortune due to her mean statements. Had she not made those statements, silver would probably have been sympathetic or disinterested at best and the incident would not have been remembered as an act of karma.

Basically, I think that karma is doing things that make others applaud your misfortunes or want to do something to help get through them.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    To apply my theory to silver's incident, the reason it appears as karma is that silver was inspired to be pleased by her misfortune due to her mean statements. Had she not made those statements, silver would probably have been sympathetic or disinterested at best and the incident would not have been remembered as an act of karma.

Basically, I think that karma is doing things that make others applaud your misfortunes or want to do something to help get through them.

what makes Karma Karma is the fact that it happened After the rude comment she made.

Had she not made the mean comment i firmly believe her bag would not have broken.

Trying to disprove it is similar to trying to disprove god, and/or fate.

Like the scene from the matrix
    "dont worry about the vase"
    "what vas..." *he hit the vase it falls*
    "i told you dont worry about but what will kill you later is if i hadnt said anything would you still have knocked it over"
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

A young truth-seeker approached the Buddha and questioned him regarding this intricate problem of inequality:

"What is the cause, what is the reason, O Lord," questioned he, "that we find amongst mankind the short-lived and long-lived, the healthy and the diseased, the ugly and beautiful, those lacking influence and the powerful, the poor and the rich, the low-born and the high-born, and the ignorant and the wise?"

The Buddha’s reply was:

"All living beings have actions (Karma) as their own, their inheritance, their congenital cause, their kinsman, their refuge. It is Karma that differentiates beings into low and high states."

He then explained the cause of such differences in accordance with the law of cause and effect.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I had a buddhist friend who, in trying to explain it to me, said that karma is an imprint on the mind of one's intended actions.

So if you step, unknowingly, on an ant, there is no karma involved, but if you see the ant, and make a decision to step on it, then that is bad karma. Good karma comes, of course, from seeing the same ant and choosing not to step on it.

"It is mental volition that I call karma. Having willed, one acts through body, speech or mind!" -- Buddha (Ang. Nik. III.415).

Do I believe in it? Yep.

david
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

I am a firm believer in Karma. I am also a very strong believer in getting back 3fold. Whether it be good or bad. My beliefs have been formed from various experiences in my life.
    I am still waiting on bad karma to really slap me down for something that I did 7ish years ago. Then again the result of what I did wrong was good so I am not sure if it goes down as 100% bad or 50/50 thus canceling itself out lol
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

I believe in Carmen, does that count?
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    what makes Karma Karma is the fact that it happened After the rude comment she made.
    I'm not so sure. Have you ever known someone you really like who suffered something negative? Have you ever said something like, "that person doesn't deserve this?" If you believe misfortune was caused by the persons actions, why didn't you assume karma to be the culprit in those cases?

Had she not made the mean comment i firmly believe her bag would not have broken.

Trying to disprove it is similar to trying to disprove god, and/or fate.
    I'm ok with you believing that. Not trying to disprove it. But, you trying to prove it is equally impossible. Personally, I believe that the reason her bag broke is that it had flimsy handles and had enough weight in it to break them. Had she been nice to you, you probably would have been sympathetic. There is, imo, no energy or force protecting Patriots fans from abuse.

...all her **** fell down the stairs.
    Your hat is still stupid.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    Your hat is still stupid.
    and the Patriots still suck.

* Sits back and waits to see if something breaks not caused by inebriation or shoddy chinese manufacturing... *

::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

It's interesting that all of the 'I believe in karma' related posts have to do with someone getting theirs when they have done something bad...isn't it supposed to work the other way too? Something like the guy running the homeless shelter winning the lottery?
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |