A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greek riots...

Greek riots...

Seriously. Some awesome photos.

On the night of Saturday, December 6th, two Special Guards of the Greek police clashed with a small group of young men. The exact details of what took place are still unclear, but it is known that one of the Guards fired three shots, and one of those bullets caused the death of 15-year-old Alexander Grigoropoulos - whether the injury was made by an accidental ricochet or deliberate shot remains to be determined. The two Guards are now in jail awaiting trial, the shooter charged with homicide. This incident sparked an immediate and widespread response in the form of angry demonstrations and riots in many Greek cities that have continued at varying levels to this day - though dimming in intensity recently. Alexander's death appears to have been a catalyst, unleashing widespread Greek anger towards many issues - police mistreatment of protesters, unwelcome education reforms, economic stagnation, government corruption and more.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    Truly a Greek tragedy.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Can't this town go one day without a riot?

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

saw the photos, cant understand the Riot mentality. Why destroy the buildings not related to the event?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I am shocked at the events but blown away by the photos. An amazing set of photos. The only one that sorta puts me off is the flower one. Ever since that photo of the girl from the 60's(?) was published it seems very cliche and unoriginal to do it. That sounds kind of harsh but idk it just gets on my nerves.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    saw the photos, cant understand the Riot mentality. Why destroy the buildings not related to the event?
    The first casualty of war is innocence so I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Thier job is simply to arrange the meeting.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

whose innocence, forgive who, who is setting up the meeting.

are the police that shot the boy losing innocence, or the shop keeper that gives the homeless man in the alley the day old bread for free whose shop just got pilliaged by rioters for stuff to burn?

are we forgiving the policemen or the rioters that are causing millions of dollars in damage to buildings of people that had NOTHING to do with the event that took place.

are the rioters arranging the meeting with god or are they the ones that need to go have a visit?

Too many people for such an open ended and Cliche quote to be valid to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    Too many people for such an open ended and Cliche quote to be valid to be honest.
    In a recent interview, General Norman Schwartzkof was asked if he thought there was room for forgiveness toward the people who have harboured and abetted the terrorists who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks on America. His answer...
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

It's funny how this thread shifted to cliches, when this forum is full of them; myself included.

Under my 20 I participated to 5 riots. 3 in Quebec city, 1 in montreal and 1 vancouver. The biggest of them all was in Quebec city. I was 16 at that time, everybody was drunk and people couldnt go where they wanted to. A bunch of 30 police was blocking the way to the old city against a mob of couple of thousands. At the time it was one of the pike of separatist in 95-96. One road got completely obliterated and all stores were almost empty after the mob went in.

Riots are going to be more frequent in the next 4 years and going from recession to depression could eventually lead to the worst scenario of Anarchy.

Anyway... human wont change tomorrow.. its always fun to play dangerously.

non-flash guy
    I really disagree with their riot and anarchy state.

BUT

They doing a thing that makes me me envy: that's a national raise, a national emotion against that boy murder.

You know, I'm from Brazil, and in July we've got a similar case, but more... brutal:

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2008/1...y-with-murder/

Yeah, the cop was consider innocent. The judge said something like "He was doing his job", and I'm sure that his job is not to kill anyone, citizen, thief or little children.

And here, the people just watched it wall trough the television, with rarely local movements... this makes me ashamed... we should make something like the greeks; of course we should not destroy everywhere and everything, but a national movement was needed...

Quote Originally Posted by atRax

Anyway... human wont change tomorrow.. its always fun to play dangerously.

if you took part in the vandalisim i hope you went back later and saw what your destruction caused for the person that owned the store, building, location destroyed. Causing harm to one person unrelated to an event caused by someone else is morally wrong on so many levels.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Wow... amazing how something so ugly and tragic can be captured and portrayed so beautifully.

Suddenly all of the most memorable and amazing photos I can think of are all of tragedy... wierd.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Smash more glass.
    -DK
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    "a whiff of grapeshot will calm them down"
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

i hope they use the microwave gun on all them stupid *****es

If there is a riot in Massachusetts because the Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl... don't you think you're gonna look a tad bit hypocritical?

There's a bunch of anger about police treatment and other things going on that's not being addresses with such comments. I'm not siding with the rioters or the police; but there's always more to the story despite the pictures showing an incredible story.

Regardless... I'm just amazed at the photography still. The one with the man with blood on his fist was (to me) a powerful statement.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    The one with the man with blood on his fist was (to me) a powerful statement.
    I found that photo really powerful as well. I think it was the fact that among all these young rioters, there's this old guy still fighting the fight.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Funny, that was the one that stood out the most to me as well.
    It evokes so many unanswered questions about all the backstories leading up to that moment.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    If there is a riot in Massachusetts because the Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl... don't you think you're gonna look a tad bit hypocritical?
    Only if he participates in the riots... or there is a stampede at the gap.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.