A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: General Maths/Physics Pointers. Thanks

General Maths/Physics Pointers. Thanks

Hello, this is a question for advanced users of Actionscript. While I use Flash and Actionscript professionally and have great knowledge of most of its aspects, I know little of the more mathematical side of Actionscript.

I know its a lot to ask, but I would appreciate if those who have experience in this issue could give me a few pointers as to what functions/classes/concepts are worth investigating in order to progress in the mathematical/physics modelling side of the scripting language.
    Even general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    While circumstances and obstacles block our path, it us who ultimately decide our destiny, because it is us who choose how to respond to those circumstances.

I would say vectors are the number one thing to focus on. And spend the time to really grasp the geometrical importance of the vector dot product... it's used in everything.

Also focus on coordinate frames. Understand matrices and how you transform points and vectors from one frame to another.

Most physics you'll probably be involved in (unless you get obsessed with it) will be very simple. You can read Chris Hecker's or David Baraff/Andrew Witkin's resources online for an introduction to rigid body simulation concepts or Thomas Jakobsen's paper which is hosted all over the place.

Thanks very much newblack for your advice. Will look into it.

Cheers
    While circumstances and obstacles block our path, it us who ultimately decide our destiny, because it is us who choose how to respond to those circumstances.