A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: OLED Displays

OLED Displays

According to Engadget, LG is putting OLED displays into production this summer.

How do these stack up to the current gen plasma's and LCD's? I know they use less power, but how do they stack up in terms of contrast, color, brightness, motion?

Do I trade up my LCD in a year or two? Tell my parents to hold off on replacing their TV?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

OLeD!

I will have to find some proof but I remember reading an article stating that OLED actually has a way better contrast ratio then LCD by a HUGE margin.

Whatever happened to that Samsung(?) LCD that had like a 1:1,000,000 conrast ratio? The blacks were PURE black. Isn't the highest you can get consumer wise only like 20k?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

OLED can get better contrast because it can actually turn off pixels, while LCD still needs a backlight on

my laptop screen is OLED...
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Quote Originally Posted by atRax
    my laptop screen is OLED...
    Really? Which model?

@PAlexC - I'd rally hold off. The tech is still fairly new (from a production standpoint)...I usually choose not to pioneer a new technology when it comes to consumer electronics. Get a bet of breed LCD or Plasma for now and wait 5 years for the prices to come down and quality to get better. Also - that tv is 15 inches...uh...no.

*I still remember the days of $15,000 plasma tvs*
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

its hooked to a motion detector cam and lights up a motion logo upon movement and react to it as well. XEL-1 with HDMI on dellXPS... its more a showoff than anything else but the quality of movement blended with blossom of colors is the best I have ever seen. I don't own one at home cause of its small size and heavy price..
    Last edited by atRax; 01-08-2009 at 02:54 AM.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I read an article a while back (sorry, no link) that covered how TV/screen manufacturers couldn't believe that people actually bought LCD/Plasma screen TVs, as the contrast was so crap in comparison to CRT.

In the same article, OLED was touted as being the closest yet to achieving the same standard of colour replication as CRT.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

energy space-size with quality