A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problems embedding in HTML

Problems embedding in HTML

Hey all,

I work in Japan, and have just started developing Flash Lite for the Japanese market. Something unexpected that I've noticed is that when I open the swf file directly with my phone (using my phone browser, not the full PC browser that many of the new phones are shipping with), it works fine and captures key events and focus and such, but when it is embedded in HTML, it captures nothing. Basically, it has no more functionality than an animated gif.

Also, since I need to use special code to embed the thing in the HTML (see Richard Leggett's post at http://richardleggett.co.uk/blog/ind...le_pages_usi_8), it won't show up when I use the aforementioned PC browser. Which might become a problem, but it's not as urgent as the first issue above.

Has anyone come across these issues yet? And (oh please please) has anyone found a way around them?

Thanks in advance,
    KDDI Man

As I understand it the typical Japanese phone support Flash Lite in interactive mode when you load the SWF directly in the browser, but is not interactive when you embed Flash lite content in a web page.

To support both Japanese phone browsers and the PC browser you will need to do some kind of browser detection on the server side, based upon the user agent sent by the browser, and serve the swf directly to the phone for mobile browser or a web page with Flash embedded for pc browser.

Thanks, hp3.

I was afraid it was like that. I will just have to figure out something on the server side. Cheers