A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 4k Flash Game Competition

Vote for rampart! (i know, so tacky...) I never actually played the game in a webpage - unfortunately it obfuscates the way i was using the scroll wheel Lesson learned.

But I would like to hear more about who-did-what since the official judging is over.

Mine was Switch. It's odd that the judges thought it was too easy. I made the game and I thought it was too hard.

Congrats to the winner! The asteroid destruction is really cool!

~Ork.
    Last edited by Orkahm52; 03-13-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Mine was TypeRacer! I actually made the game within a few hours, so it has a unfinished look, and what was originally planeed to be a racer, became a typing game! However since this is my first attempt at completing a game, i would like some comments and suggetions on it!

Quote Originally Posted by 5TonsOfFlax View Post
    Apparently to use the iSight, you have to jiggle some settings: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/cantre...and_the_a.html
    Excellent, thanks! I wasn't aware of those options -- the Firewire option didn't work for me, but the USB one did. The game was MUCH more fun to play with motion tracking -- very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by urbansquall View Post
    Sorry about being awol from the thread this week.
    Perhaps it was for the best, as you missed some of the potential anonymity-blowing posts.

Quote Originally Posted by urbansquall View Post
    The launch of Bloody Fun Day coincided with not only the 4k Flash Game Competition but a bunch of other stuff as well.
    Aaah, I saw that go up on Kongregate, and had quite a fun time with it. Nicely done!

Mine was Space 4000 and I just want to say thanks to HanClinto for the comment, yuo really got what I was trying to do (and I too thought the high score my disallow my entry but I thought it added too much to leave it out.)

I am going to be skinning my game and adding lots to it then re-releasing it in a bit (would LOOOVE to do a multi player version.) thanks to UrbanSquall, GYW and everyone who took part...and eagerly await the next contest

take it easy y'all

chrisError x

Thanks for the thanks mate

We were more than proud to have been involved in the comp, even in our small materialistic way, and I know there are going to be more 4k comps and hopefully we'll be organising a comp ourselves in conjunction with UrbanSquall and hopefully some others ( Perhaps Kill5 may want to melt down a gold bar ? ).

I guess I should stroke my ego slightly and try and explain ( Justify ? ) Bovis Abyssus.
    I wanted it to feel like a gameboy game, that it was just a 4k slice of a much bigger game, so instead of it being like a timed demo where you get a minute to play it, instead you just had 4k's worth of demo to get a feel for it ( That's why you can't kill the boss, that's just not included in this demo ).

I think it turned out ok, a lot more style over substance, but that could be said about my career as a whole.
    And unlike it seems almost everyone else, I have no interest at all in putting it out as a bigger game. It is what it is.

Squize.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Felt really polished for 4096 bytes, Squize. One thing I might say is that I don't see the "hell" in the genre. After having a 5 digit score for 5 minutes I got really bored because it was painfully easy to avoid the bullets. In fact the only thing that really killed me was this $&#*@!# dodgy mouse I have. I would love to see it expanded though. Maybe someone will take your source and run with it one day. -_-
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

@chriserrorplain: I really liked the high score component and I don't think it violated the spirit of the competition which is why there was no noise from it. I really liked the promise of the game and would love to see an expanded version of it.

@Squize: You know I loved your game. I was SUPER surprised when it first arrived and thought it would decimate all the follow up entries. The truth be told it was a VERY competitive field. And, while you might lament that it is more style over substance, I suspect your game is the one people will remember, visually, more than any other game out of the bunch because it has such a shiny aesthetic. When are you adding Mochi btw?
    Company Website: http://www.urbansquall.com
    Flash Dev Blog: http://www.gamepoetry.com

"When are you adding Mochi btw?"

"One thing I might say is that I don't see the "hell" in the genre"

IP I've got to really honest mate, there are very few people I know who can find room to bitc'h about the difficulty curve in a 4K game, so well done on that.

Squize.

I did the "Go And Turn" game. Tried several things but that was only one that felt like a game and not just an experiment. Its FlashCS3/AS3 and there is very little special size-reducing so its probably not very good example of "how much can you include within 4 kbytes".

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    "When are you adding Mochi btw?"

"One thing I might say is that I don't see the "hell" in the genre"

IP I've got to really honest mate, there are very few people I know who can find room to bitc'h about the difficulty curve in a 4K game, so well done on that.

Squize.
    I deserve a medal.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

tonypa: I really liked your entry. Easily one of the most (if not the most) unique entry out of the bunch. It was tough though. Really tough.
    Company Website: http://www.urbansquall.com
    Flash Dev Blog: http://www.gamepoetry.com