A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How has the global economy affected you?

How has the global economy affected you?

They recently let 10 people go, a major contract for us had it's budget split in half, and my two other projects lost 6 and 8 weeks respectively due to budget concerns from the client.

However, I'm still busy...

What about you all? Just curious.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Three very successful clients have gone from being dead set on a complete redesign to being reduced to piece meal additions and changes. The last quarter of 2008 was almost completely dry.

Almost exactly what jAQUAN said, especially about the last quarter of 08.

Now that we have a little free time, let's use it and work together to come up with that next million dollar idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    Now that we have a little free time, let's use it and work together to come up with that next million dollar idea.
    You may jest... however that's closer to what I have in mind.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Oh, believe me when I say I have actually given it some serious thought. There certainly isn't a lack of areas that need improving, that's for sure, but new IPs escape me.

Things are definitely tighter. The person sitting immediately across from me was supposedly let go - but I think management spinned it differently. as to not affect morale.

Client is looking for 'safe' and cheap work - and I am now supposedly both a backend and frontend programmer.

Riots in China, Iceland, Latvia and Bulgaria, France, Greece just didn't stop and is taking all over Europe.

Every assumption underlying the creation of a bond, its value as a “store of value and wealth” and repayment is NOW FALSE . Corporate and consumer income, government income, tax receipts, cash flow, level of business activity, asset values, future business, profitability and every qualifying metric used for borrowing are now significantly LESS. In most cases it WILL NOT recover for many years, if not a decade from now. And government stimulus activity will DELAY any recovery in income for years. Therefore, the expectations for repayment are considerably diminished.

These banks are representative of the problem they all face: INSOLVENCY

Cumulatively, these banks are LOSING somewhere north of $100 billion a WEEK on their portfolios. If forced to access the credit markets, they couldn't do so unless the GOVERNMENTS of these respective banks GUARANTEED the borrowings in sum the public at large.

Of course, this is one more screw job of the public while the shareholders, unsecured bondholders and management get a free pass and it is in one word: DESPICABLE. The American public is the patsy.

They hang up cause they know its their fault.

Now One giant company at a time will collapse until they print more money that will lead to more depth and finally new world order...
    Last edited by atRax; 01-31-2009 at 09:43 PM.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

From a work perspective, I have never been busier. Both freelance and full time. I'm lucky in that respect.

On the flip side of things, I want to move to a nicer house, but cannot because we cant sell our house in this horrible market. So we're stuck.

It's actually helping us out. As staffing and training budgets tighten more gets outsourced, and live training gets replaced with online. We get a lot of consultants that do live training who's clients ask for e-learning solutions.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I find that rent is constantly going up in my City no matter where I am looking.

I had to move back to my home town for the next 4 months because Burlington had no job offerings unless I wanted to work in fast food...no thank you.

I will hopefully have a few more galleries and be in contact with a few more "pros" before trying to move back up the end of May so I can start off on a better foot.

Yay the US government.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

As of right now we are not allowed overtime hours but I'm sure that will all change once spring hits. Winter is always the slowest time for us.

Quote Originally Posted by creativeinsomnia
    From a work perspective, I have never been busier. Both freelance and full time. I'm lucky in that respect.

On the flip side of things, I want to move to a nicer house, but cannot because we cant sell our house in this horrible market. So we're stuck.

I'm waiting for FL to chime in on this one or even TGLC

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    No bonuses or increment in salary this year for sure !
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Some small changes but nuttin to worry about here. from my point of view

good luck to the rest .

Quite agree that the last quarter of 08 was very, very quiet. Fortunately things are picking up towards the end of January 09 though. Not sure how long this momentum will last though..

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    let go November 08. Hired Jan 09.

no change in freelance.

Considering i live quite far from anything the drop in gas prices is fantastic and has more effect on my personal economy than anything else... now why they hell can't i find a local 190d for sell.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I stay as busy as I ever did at work and watch people drop like flies around me. Rumors are going around that my dept is going to be outsourced but they are still rumors.
    The gas prices have helped enormously, I cut back on eating out and Starbucks, pretty much don't do either anymore. Cut way back on what we buy grocery wise and buy more in bulk and freeze some of it. Sold 10 acres of land that the wife and I wanted to build on later in life for half the appraised value.
    Bagged lunches for the win, less snacks, more exercise (keeps the mind occupied). Things are a bit tense around home sometimes but we deal with it.

Pretty much it has affected every aspect of my life.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    I'm waiting for FL to chime in on this one or even TGLC
    you have big ears and your breath smells like my dogs feet.

How you like that chime in squeky shorts!
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.