A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Vector Unleashed

Vector Unleashed

Hey I have been working on my Vectoring skills which are little to none at this point. I ran across a site where dude does some amzaing vector work and im trying to figure out several things about vectoring besides use the pen tool.

1. How do you control the thickness and shape of the lines used in a vector?

2. How do you get the precise curves or shape of the drawing?

3. How do you get the fine detail lines in the image to give it depth and shadowing of the image?

Below is a link to an image that i was blown away by as an example of what I'm looking to be able to achieve over time can someone point me in the right direction the image is the Horse or knight for a chess piece.

http://www.chadlonius.com/static/freevectors.htm
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

dude. i've told you once and i'll tell you 100 times.

Pen tool. pen tool. pen tool.

If you can't figure it out, you're going ot go nowhere. Take an image that you like and start tracing it to see how points with the pen tool effect smooth curves.

The dude's work in the link you posted is most likely drawn by hand on paper and then scanned in and traced out with the pen tool and possibly the paint brush tool. And most likely he used a wacom to control brush pressure. You don't get as good as that guy without already being a good artist.

Honestly, it sounds to me you need a few drawing lessons. That will improve your 'vectoring' skills tremendously when you know how to control what your hand and mind are trying to do.

Now...if you're looking for a specific technique that you need some help with. Please be more specific on the issue you're having and i'm sure myself or some other artists here can help you.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 02-11-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Well then I may have been asking the wrong questions as far as drawing if I don't have that down I will never get it being that i have been drawing since age three. I guess what i was looking for is reference or a starting point and then go from there where as all i see is finished work but I knew nothing of setting or being gable to manipulate the pressure of the brush through the tablet. other than photoshop checking simulate pressure. But the drawing is not a problem but it is frustrating as hell because i am trying to recreate things that i would normally draw on paper bu do it in the software and its not working . Not just tracing but just simply drawing what i see in my head on the pad as i would somewhat on paper.
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly View Post
    dude. i've told you once and i'll tell you 100 times.

Pen tool. pen tool. pen tool.

If you can't figure it out, you're going ot go nowhere. Take an image that you like and start tracing it to see how points with the pen tool effect smooth curves.

The dude's work in the link you posted is most likely drawn by hand on paper and then scanned in and traced out with the pen tool and possibly the paint brush tool. And most likely he used a wacom to control brush pressure. You don't get as good as that guy without already being a good artist.

Honestly, it sounds to me you need a few drawing lessons. That will improve your 'vectoring' skills tremendously when you know how to control what your hand and mind are trying to do.

Now...if you're looking for a specific technique that you need some help with. Please be more specific on the issue you're having and i'm sure myself or some other artists here can help you.
    ^^^^^^^ What he said.
    Although that knight is wicked sick. Love the fk out of the concept.