A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How many of you work in the industry?

Previously known as onionboy

How many of you work in the industry?

Bit of a general question i know.
    But the past year or so i've been freelancing quite a bit getting work sent to me, working on it, and sending it back.

I've been enjoying it, and now im working more on doing complete sites.

Who out there works full time or freelance?
    Do you enjoy what you do?

Interested to know if many of you have gone from doing it as a hobby in your bedroom to actually getting paid work coming in.

I started out in graphic design and always had a passion for web design... im now doing freelance web design as well as running a few other things on the side... really enjoying it, I think im enjoying it more than when i was working full time.

I've been web developing/designing for 10 years now... Feel old! Was permanent for 8 years and I've been contracting for 2 years now. Definitely prefer contracting. I spent about a year or so learning web design before I started working in the industry.

I have to keep reminding myself how lucky I am to be getting paid to do something I enjoy. Obviously it's hard work but I really don't know what I'd be doing if I hadn't got into web-work all those years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by loydall
    I have to keep reminding myself how lucky I am to be getting paid to do something I enjoy. Obviously it's hard work but I really don't know what I'd be doing if I hadn't got into web-work all those years ago.
    If you didn't like it you better become an administrator filing forms
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

AS3 Mod
    For me about 10 years ago this started out as a hobby, then turned into freelance (paid work) then I realized that I was good at this and I love doing it so why not try and land a full time job.

Now I work full time as a web developer consultant as well as freelance projects on the side (to keep my skills sharp in areas I don't use a lot in the corporate world).

<- Nike

^ Explain further.

<-- I'm a large format printer, but I indulge in websites/flash 'cos its satisfying.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    I've been working in IT for over 10 years.

Worked for a company for 3 years, before a couple of departments got retrenched. At that point I was eliminated from a couple of job interviews because nobody believed I worked at one company for 3 years. (The industry average was under 6 months)

Then worked for a company where the CEO ran off with our money. I've been working for myself ever since.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Graphic Designer for 9 years, worked in the UK and New Zealand, now back in the UK and working as Senior Graphic Designer for an events organisation company.
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

Quote Originally Posted by Googooboyy
    ^ Explain further.

<-- I'm a large format printer, but I indulge in websites/flash 'cos its satisfying.
    I worked on Nikestore.com for the past year - amongst a few other things.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    The wife worked at the World Wide Web Institute (USA company, not the Swiss one) for several years before they went under.
    Afterwards we started our own web design/development company and over the past 6 years it's just continued to grow, in spite of, or maybe even because of the recession.