A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40D owners I need your thoughts

40D owners I need your thoughts

I am thinking of selling off some of my gear to get a 40D. It is only a thought as of right now and the biggest item I will be trading in is my Sigma 10-20. I love the lens and how wide it can go but sometimes I feel I could as easily just stitch 2 shots from my Tamron and get the same thing(as long as it is a non moving subject)

I am looking for all your opinions on the 40D and hopefully a comparison from someone who owned a older xxD model and upgraded as I will be going from a 20D(keeping the body as a backup).

I am just concerned from a lot of reviews I have read in that the 40D sensor is actually physically smaller then the 20D with more MP = bleh noise at higher iso.

I would sell ALL my gear if I could get a 5D and a 24-70 or 24-105 but that is just not an option as 5D's still go for around $1400-1500 for a used body and then the good full frame L lens start at $1000+
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quite happy to do some test shots for you on my 40d at any settings you want to see.

One thing I would say is - don't sell your sigma 10-20 dude! I bought mine on your recommendation and haven't looked back - I love that lens..

Anyway, I hear in terms of sensor, the 40d is actually the same as the 400d but is a higher bit depth.

The faster fps is a bonus on the 40d..

I'm happy with it.

Let me know if you want some test shots..

Could you possibly just setup the 40D with the Sigma 10-20 on it and take 3 shots? 1 wide open, 1 at the highest it can go, and just one somewhere in the middle like f/11? that would be awesome!

preferably outside to see the gradient it produces outside in the sky but that isn't totally needed.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Nikonist
    May the 'Nikonist' say a word ?
    Keep the 10/20...just bought mine and gave my 12/24 Tokina away...it'll stay with me forever!
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Yeah I really do love the view it gives me. I think it needs to go in for a calibration. I feel it isn't as sharp as it should be. All my lenses really should go in and the 20D. I am afraid of the bill that will all bring haha.

at least the sigma is under warranty

I'm just uploading some pics now - there's 6 or 7 with their raw files - quickly adds up to a large upload!

I'll post a link when they're up..

thanks a lot!

Right - had to upload them all separately as the zip kept loosing the connection.
    It was a bit of a grey old day but should give you an idea:

http://www.developdesign.co.uk/pics/

These are straight from the camera so you've got all the exif data to see what's what.

(You'll also probably see I need to clean my lens...)

I really appreciate it. I will have to wait to go home and open these. I will give some feedback when I have a chance.

Thanks for the shots they looked pretty good. Little bit of levels and curves they become really good keepers.

I am DYING for a 5D- I don't care how old it is. But sadly then I would need a 24-70 f/2.8 or the 24-105 f/4 IS to go with it. So that is a $2000 investment in total. Even with selling all my 20D and all my EF-s lenses I am far from that mark. I need to organize this gallery soon and hopefully sell A LOT of prints.

Would love a 5D - If I wasn't married, I would probably own one by now..

Yeah - those pics were actually ok-ish.

I created 2 exposures of one of them and photoshopped them:

Almost looks like an HDR photo but it's just a mix of a low exposure (for the sky) and the normal exposure (for everything else).

Might try it again though as this pic looks a little grubby...

I have the 350d ( xti I thinks its also called ) and 40d. The image quality is identical in my opinion.

The feel is totally different though. I like the grip on 40d a lot. I first bought the 450d but it had backfocus issues and decided for a real upgrade, as my old 350d had 80 000 exposures or so.

Heres my lates onlocation shot of the band BluesUp at the local jazzclub, with a Vivitar285hv and the Sigma 10-20.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

That is a nice shot and excellent B&W conversion.

I didn't realize you shot with a 40D- all your shots are amazing. I give it all to your amazing lighting skills.

Photoshop is what comes to my rescue. That image is just a umbrealla in front and bare flash in back. I should have used 2 Vivitars in back.

I used the two Vivitars on their portraits though ( with umbrellas ). Used 1/6 sec as it was dark and I wanted some of the lights in the background to show. I "gelled" in post" and some dodge and burn too. Used the 50mm on these.

I too would love a 5d, to get that shallow depth of field. Or a medium format camera. Like Joey L's latest images from Africa. Stunning ( www.joeyl.com ).

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Damn it, he already posted those. I forgot to check back. I jealously hate him. His old stuff was with a 5D but now he shoots with a 1Ds Mark III....

IQ is great as far as I can tell. Noise is no more of a problem than any other camera i've used

After reading Joey L new HUGE post about his trip...

I hate him even more- and what a nice little treat to himself to have a NYC apartment.

So I am still thinking but I am just not as impressed with the 10-20 as I wanted to be. I LOVE the focal length but the results just aren't what I want. I am thinking sell my 20D and use that and some of my tax return to get the 40D. Retry out the 10-20 on the 40D and see if it is just my 20D that I am not liking the results from and if so keep it. If not sell the Sigma and buy some lighting gear so I can get more into portrait stuff.

You've probably already seen this wannabe but all I do when watching this was picture you drooling on your keyboard...

http://www.vimeo.com/3388630?diggbar
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

I actually haven't seen that. I did read something about someone doing it but never saw the video. Thanks for the link. I would love a 5D Mark II. I think it would get me back into video...

they just need to add autofocus and it will be perfect.