A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [disc] Mochibot or Google Analytics ?

[disc] Mochibot or Google Analytics ?

Mochibot VS Google Analytics Flash component

Pros and cons?

Which would you use for your own games, and why?

Which would you use for a client's project, and why?

I did not use either in last game because you can get the stats from MochiAds dashboard too and even share them (example).

I'd have to say Google Analytics Comp. wins for me, especially for client work, the depth of reporting it gives you is just far superior to MochiBot / Ads tracking. You can view users by location, do true event tracking inside a game / movie and these days the industry standard for Tarcking is Google Analytics so any other agencies / media buyers etc that you have to share the data with, will all be familiar and comfortable with it (unlike Mochi when they look at you dumb.)

ChrisError x

google analitycs is MUCH more powerful to visualize your stats, create custom filters. For example you can view how many people play your game twice, which is impossible with mochibot.

BUT analtitycs is not totally free if you reach 5M views a month, which can be the case with online games
    http://www.google.com/support/google...n&answer=55476

mochimedia puts all means on mochiads, and mochibot has hardly evolved since more than one year. but it's free whatever your traffic.
    Last edited by Sietjp; 02-25-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sietjp View Post
    google analitycs is MUCH more powerful to visualize your stats, create custom filters. For example you can view how many people play your game twice, which is impossible with mochibot.

BUT analtitycs is not totally free if you reach 5M views a month, which can be the case with online games
    http://www.google.com/support/google...n&answer=55476

mochimedia puts all means on mochiads, and mochibot has hardly evolved since more than one year. but it's free whatever your traffic.
    I didn't know that, not that I'm ever gonna hit that limit
    I've never felt the need to get that detailed data out of a game but it would be a interesting experiment to do a full Google Analytics implementation and get a glimpse of the behavior of people inside the game.
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

Well I just tried out the Analytics component and ... it's NICE. You basically create as many events as you feel like it, just by creating a unique name to pass to Analytics. It will be very interesting to track how many people start a game, then just quit out. (ie: send through a hit when the game is loaded and ready to play, send another hit for the play button, then send a hit for the game over state. Compare all those stats. If you have very low game over stats compared to game started and Played stats, then you know your game sucks and people just quit. :-D )

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez View Post
    Well I just tried out the Analytics component and ... it's NICE. You basically create as many events as you feel like it, just by creating a unique name to pass to Analytics. It will be very interesting to track how many people start a game, then just quit out. (ie: send through a hit when the game is loaded and ready to play, send another hit for the play button, then send a hit for the game over state. Compare all those stats. If you have very low game over stats compared to game started and Played stats, then you know your game sucks and people just quit. :-D )
    Very interesting!

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    yeah I just did a google analytics game, and its awesome, you can track stuff like time on each level, levels started, levels ended, cretures killed etc etc it gives you really really good stats, a marketers dream.
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

If you have very low game over stats compared to game started and Played stats, then you know your game sucks and people just quit.
    You mean game is to good and you have to dumb it down not to frustrate the idiots into quitting too early?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMD View Post
    You mean game is to good and you have to dumb it down not to frustrate the idiots into quitting too early?
    So there's such a thing as a bad learning curve too?

This can come in real handy. I can imagine not everyone will write a review, especially when they don't like the game. This can give you some insight as to what it might be. The downside is that you can only do quantative research with this and what you really want is qualitative (you need to operationalize the reasons people have into variables, but you might miss the actual reason or define the wrong variables. What you really want are ALL the reasons, not especially how much some of them occur). I've read about FGL first impression service, which could be used to get that and test them with google analytics. An alternative would be to use some betatesters of your own.