A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problem drawing Pythagoras tree

Question Problem drawing Pythagoras tree

Hello,

I want to program a program that draws a Pythagoras tree. The only programming language I know is C but I tried it in that language and it was horrible. Someone recommended Flash (AS3) to me so I am trying it in that now, but I only started yesterday so that's why I am posting this in the newbies forum. If this belongs in the math forum, then please move it there.
    Anyway, I got to the point where I can draw the leftturning branch of the Pythagoras tree, but I don't know how to draw the other branches. The number of "houseshapes" a square with a rectangular triangle on top increases with every step according to the formula 1 x 2^(n-1) (First step is n=1). I created a function that draw this houseshape, called drawHouse() and it takes as its arguments the co-ordinate of the lower left corner of the square part of the house, the length of the side of the square part of the house and the current rotation angle. Rotation angles are always multiples of 45 for now, but I might try to expand it to other values later, but for now I hardcoded a lot of stuff that assumes the 'roof' of the house is a rectangular triangle.

What I am asking is: how do I store the 2 new x and y co-ordinates that I can calculate after drawing the houseshape, for drawing the next houseshape, and how do I store the angles? Do I need 3 separate arrays for x, y and angle? And how do I then call the houseshape function for every x and y co-ordinate and angle in these arrays? Code is attached.
    I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,
    Max
    Attached Files Attached Files

this is one of few threads that got far better response at FlashMove's place... by me

any way, check out the end result of the saga.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2