A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: March Madness IronMan Event

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    i think it will stretch into april, or till people stop submitting, and i have gained enough points by default to win.
    I support this idea – it sounds more than reasonable.

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacaboo288 View Post
    I support this idea – it sounds more than reasonable.
    What, that silver wins?? I guess that's the perks of running things, eh?

Sounds good to me...
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

congrats to ctranter for winning the first round.

names have been added so everyone can see who did what. and give critiques.
    Name Place
    ctranter 1
    dricciotti 3
    flashlackey 4
    flashpipe 7(tie)
    groupof1 6
    silverx2 5
    zacaboo 2
    shotsy 7(tie)
    jaquan 7(tie)
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Let me start by saying GREAT JOB ALL!! Very inspiring, humorous and makes me look forward to seeing what comes next!! Has me pumped!!

Now, onto more details...

Well, well...where to begin...not sure if this should go in the voting thread or here, but...here we go...

ctranter, congrats!! Beautiful job on bringing out the detail and real color in the sunflowers...did you mainly use a color layer and masks? Love the integration of the mountains and the Space Shuttle, moon and halo were the perfect final touches, as well as spreading the shadows out through the field...nice!! Got my vote for overall detail, creative and realistic coloring.

groupof1, loved it! The sky, the scythe, funny, very Children of the Corn. I'm a horror movie buff, so you got my vote on this. Nicely done!

dricciotti, spectacular colors, love the way they carried through the entire image...and, can't beat Paul Simon!

flashlackey, ha, ha...burst out laughing when I saw this...can't beat Duck Hunter and nice carrying of the green through the image...well done! The menu integration at the bottom is perfect.

silverx2, beautiful vector sky with the rainbow integrated and I loved how you got the color spread out through the sunflowers and kept the leaves green. Very unique interpretation and well composed mix of the vector/raster.

shotsy, nice theme of overexposure, tied together cleverly with the the mushroom cloud & "radiated" look through the image.

jaquan, I liked the coloring and especially appreciated the text adjusted to mimic the sunflowers. Definitely took some time getting that looking so clean. I think the only thing I wasn't crazy about was the overall darkness of the image as it made it difficult to see the detail and coloring in the sunflowers. At first, I was going to do clouds in mine, but I didn't want to make the image any darker and mute the colors...turns out, I probably would have been better off doing that as I think mine came out too saturated and didn't have that realism I was going for.

zacaboo, what can I say...whew, yours was my favorite. Exactly what I had been trying to capture with the realism I was trying to create. How the F did you do that?? lol...did you use Levels to bring the details out and color layers with masks to add the color. I played around with so many layers and so many options and just couldn't get what I was going for that you captured so perfectly. And, the addition of the depth of field was brilliant and perfectly executed...BRAVO!!!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...looking forward to everyone's fairy tales and more!!!
    Last edited by flashpipe1; 03-10-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Did you get my fairy tale image silver? Just checking.
    What the world needs now is a nice hot bath.

yes groupof1, tomorrow night ill be posting everything for round 2 that i have gotten. so far some really fun stuff.

zacaboo- yours was my favorite. loved the deph you added

Groupof1- Loved the theme you went with awesome

Ctranter- nearly my favorite, one of things i loved most about it was how it made me
    think back to a previous image you did with the rocket in the cornfield. Wonderful work

dric- really enjoyed the colors used

flashlackey- great reimaging of an old classic.

I'm coming off of a brutal couple of months and I'm finding very hard to want any more time with my comp atm. Even if I did my creativity is on vacation. I'll try to keep entering but no promises.

Thanks for the feedback flashpipe. I might have to double check my screen brightness because my round 1 image looks fairly bright to me, although not nearly as vivid as ctranters. Great Job man.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpipe1 View Post
    ...did you use Levels to bring the details out and color layers with masks to add the color.
    Flashpipe: Thanks for comments dude. You're pretty much right on the mark. I did use an adjustment layer to bring out the details in the flowers but I actually used a Curves layer. I find that it can do just what Levels can do but allows a little more control across the entire spectrum of grays.

After that, I created a separate layer set to Linear Burn blend mode (although Multiply would work just as well) and started coloring the flowers with a yellow that looked closest to the general yellow color of sunflowers (I think I just used a soft-edged brush with about 30% flow and the yellow was R 255, G 245, B 050). After I did this, the flowers were all colored in but they still looked unnatural so I added a layer style to the layer painted yellow:

Color Overlay > Blend Mode: Overlay > Color: Red (R 255, G 000, B 000) > Opacity: 25%

What this did was make the yellows redder as they got darker and added more depth and richness overall.

The greens were a sort of olive green on a separate layer blended with Vivid Light and 60% opacity.

To everyone: I thought this event was a lot of fun but what really made it rewarding was to see everybody's images posted together and also being reminded of everyone's sense of humor. Can't wait to see the images for the Fairytale and Fable event.

Silver, Ill be sending me to you at the last minute

thanks for the 28 hour heads up

haha. I thought today was wednesday already. Ill still post my image last minute anyways, for dramatic purposes

id have it no other way!

pssst

hello all. i want to know where i can see the images.

thanks

Images from round one are in the top sticky in the Arena called Round #1 voting. link

a little more then 12 hours to go. nepzap 12 hours make a classic fairytale into an image. do it now 12 hours to do it. then pm me the image!

LETS GO PEOPLE 12 HOURS till round 2 voting!

currently sitting at 5 images people. come on 4 more we can do it 4 more to match last week. 5 more to hit an even ten.

silverx2

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    a little more then 12 hours to go. nepzap 12 hours make a classic fairytale into an image. do it now 12 hours to do it. then pm me the image!

LETS GO PEOPLE 12 HOURS till round 2 voting!
    Really? Is this the theme(classic fairytale)? What are the specs... same as the
    Round #1 voting images sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by nepzap2 View Post
    Really? Is this the theme(classic fairytale)? What are the specs... same as the
    Round #1 voting images sticky?
    "Fables and Fairy Tales: Tell a classic story in your image"
    There will be no default stock. Your goal is to create an image based on a classic fable or fairytale.
    750X400 canvas size, rotation allowed.

Whoops...I guess I should read more often...always yelling at my customers for not doing that...my image was 640x480, just used the dimensions from round 1...let me update my image and resend that to you...should be ready in under 2 hours (heading home now)...