A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SHOW] A Typical Wednesday Afternoon

Hybrid View

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar

[SHOW] A Typical Wednesday Afternoon

Hey guys ,

My new game has just gone live. It’s called A Typical Wednesday Afternoon and I really like how it turned out. It's a little different from my usual arena shooter style games, but never the less it's still a shmup :P. I won’t say any more about it, I’ll let you play and see what you think.

I hope you enjoy it. I'd love to hear your valuable opinions as always.

http://armorgames.com/play/3270/a-ty...sday-afternoon

Ali

Great job. Superb presentation.
    For my taste there is too much visual effects (trails) on the ennemies, that makes it very hard to distinguish what is a ship and what is a visual effect.

Man, I love your games, they just rock

( Possible bug, is the font not embedded for the score on the Game Over screen ? ).

You have an unholy number of sprites running in there so soon after starting which is a really brave thing to do with everyone being so "casual" orientated right now, and aside from the font thing, it's damn near faultless.

Great job, and I'm hoping to grab some time later to give it a really good thrashing.

Squize.

Very good presentation. I do think though that there is a bit too much effects. I died a few times because I simply couldn't see the bullets through all of the explosions.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    And here I used to think Fracture was my favorite shooter... well this one just took the reigns. I love the music and the simple graphics. I do think that after about 10 minutes of shaking I'm going to get sick on my keyboard. And can you say bullet hell? The game is more about holding down the fire button and dodging bullets; there's no strategy. In this type of game I would almost expect firing to be automatic. 10/10 for style and gameplay though. Ever little "pow" made me feel that much better about today (Thursday).

First time I went to submit scores I got:

ReferenceError: Error #1069: Property msg not found on String and there is no default value.
    at MethodInfo-146()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunctio n()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
    at flash.net::URLLoader/flash.net:URLLoader:nComplete()
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

awesome work dude.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I really liked it, nice job!

UG

really, really good. Particuarly the presentation.

thank god atleast a few devs are smart enough to give an all-keyboard controlled game an all-keyboard controlled menu.

viza.

Neat! I've only been able to play it for a little bit so far, but I'm not completely sure I like the all white background, I thought it could use a little depth. But that's neither here nor there now.

The most wonderful thing about this game is that absolutely does not hold your hand. I was in bullet hell seconds from when I started, which was tons and tons of fun.

And yeah, as the Captain said, there is a pretty good ramp up in difficulty, which I really liked(don't have to wait forever as in some games to get to the hard part..).

UG

One bug is that when you enter your name for the highscore, whenever you use the letter M, the music toggles on and off.

y submits your name as well

Thanks guys I wasn't expecting to see so many replies so soon. It's really encouraging to see the support of the community here .

Sietjp - Thanks buddy, I ended up spending almost as much time on the presentation as on the game itself so I'm glad it shows. I guess the OTT effects aren't to everyone’s tastes but that was the style choice from the start.

Squize - You always give great encouragement mate, thanks a lot. I’ve fixed the embed problem and hopefully I will be able to update the AG version asap. No matter how hard you try you always miss something! Hope you have had a chance to have a good go. And don't use the 'C' word here please!

dVyper - Thanks, the bullets are always drawn on top so you should still be able to see them even if you've got the screen covered in explosions. I know it still makes it a bit difficult but to me that’s part of the fun.

IP - Wow thanks a lot mate , though fracture & fracture 2 are great games and random deserves his praise! Yea it gets a bit like shoot and hope for the best after a few minutes hehe. The game was technically released Wednesday night, though I didn’t even think of that, should have released it Wednesday afternoon!!

Blink - Cheers mate.

UnknownGuy - Thanks for the +

Viza - Thanks a lot. Yea, I usually include both keybaord and mouse but that’s usually because my games use both in game, so I just opted for keyboard this time.

Captain - Thanks mate . The white background was a deliberate choice, not only because I'm in love with white backgrounds, but because I felt anything more would just push it over the edge in terms of being able to see what was going on (as a couple of complaints already have confirmed). Hehe I don't believe in breaking in gently!

Geneve & MCNUGGET - Ah crap, I never considered that. I've fixed both now and hopefully will get the game updated soon. Thanks guys.

Thanks again everyone for your support!

Ali
    Last edited by alillm; 03-06-2009 at 01:28 PM.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    I love the visuals from the moment you start up the title screen. But I feel the trails interfere too much with the action, perhaps if the color was shifted a bit. I feel like I'm drunk when I'm playing it!

I dig the Sonic 2 Chemical Zone music track.

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    very cool game, gets pretty intense fast... maybe a little too fast for me I like it to build up.

One thing I hate it when my powerups get stripped back to nothing on death from having wicked full screen blasting power.
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Personally, I kind of wish the difficulty would curb down a bit when you lose a life. I kind of feel like I only have one life because once you lose one, it's pretty much hopeless thereafter. Then again, my highscore is only 5.5 million... the all time is like almost a billion.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Son of Bryce - Thanks . Again, the visuals were supposed to be kinda trippy and over the top. I think the fact that tons of enemies exploding all over the place makes you have to concentrate more is part of the gameplay. Fair enough if it's not to your taste though.

Flashkit - Thanks mate, yea its pretty hardcore but that’s just my style I guess, I hate games that make you wait ages until you actually have a challenge and I hate games that try to take you through everything step by step. If you think about it, all you have to do is hold the shoot button and dodge things, there really isn’t anything to "learn", so why patronise the player by making them wait 5 mins before they get to the fun bit?

IP & Fk - The powering down to nothing when you die is done in quite a few shooters and I quite like the idea of having to build your way up and then try not to die so you can hold onto your power. I agree that maybe I should have given the player a bit of a break when they die, but it is possible to survive without even shooting if you're good and you always have your special attacks to hold off the enemies while you power up again.

Thanks for the crits guys always helpful in improving my future games!

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by ImprisonedPride View Post
    Personally, I kind of wish the difficulty would curb down a bit when you lose a life. I kind of feel like I only have one life because once you lose one, it's pretty much hopeless thereafter. Then again, my highscore is only 5.5 million... the all time is like almost a billion.
    I just want to reiterate this.

Once you lose a life after about 2 million points, theres no coming back.

Ramp down the difficulty on death, or make it a single life game I think.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Sorry to drag this up again, just wanted to say that the bugs have been fixed and the game is now up on newgrounds:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/486390

Any votes would of course be welcome, though I'm not sure it would make much difference, as usual it's got a bit of a mixed reception .

Ali

You got my five (+ 0.0020 ^_^ ). Yes many good reviews and and some mixed ones. I'm not surprised it's the kind of game that some love and some hate.