A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "Protective" Filters

"Protective" Filters

What are all your thoughts on filters? I have a UV filter on the front of all my lenses. Over at POTN every time someone post a thread about a filter "saving" the front element of a lens the thread becomes a HUGE debate or whether UV filters are even worth putting on the front or not. I can see the occasional bump into something very nerve racking without one. They all argue that there is NO WAY they would ever put on a filter in front of their L glass as the filter actually takes away from the quality. I have yet to search for someone actually doing side by side comparisons but think it is time.

Do you all have something on your lenses?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I have them on all mine. You hear people talking about how even if the element does get scratched 99% of the time it will be unnoticeable really anyway.

But I panic if I scratch the lenshood or tripod collar on mine

Nikonist
    If I use a filter then it is a pol-filter in the mountains to reduce the haze or for water surfaces to reduce reflexions...other than that I use NO filters as they are pretty expensive useless glass.
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    I like to get down and dirty when I'm shooting, that means UV filter is a must, or the lens gets it!! and you dont want the lens to get it!

I have easily saved my lens twice beacuse I had a filter on

I used to use a UV filter but don't bother any more. I am not exactly careful with my camera either, as we speak it is at my feet next to my computer and has been for a week, probably knocked it at least 10 times today.

But it does always have a lens cap on and I am careful when using it not to knock it into anything or drop it. It gets a good clean every 2 weeks when it is in use, in fact I got another snooker competition coming up in three weeks and the camera and all the lens's are being sent off to be cleaned.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    The other day my filter was struck. It broke but the lens was unharmed. I can't afford to replace the lens right now, so for that very reason I'll never go without. I don't really notice a difference with or without so I'll stick to using one.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    OK So Filter Vs. Lens Hood

and for the record I have a filter on my 50 mm and the 70-300 since both of them I could get really close to something and graze the lens without even noticing

i have the UV filter on all the time..... although a while back i took the lens cap off only to find the filter shattered underneath and the bits of broken glass all over my lens!!!! wtf? luckily (miraculously) the lens was fine!