A Flash Developer Resource Site

View Poll Results: How many levels should i have? (a boss after every third level)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll

3 25.00%

3 25.00%

3 25.00%

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Idea?

Cool Idea?

Is this a cool idea?

you must use clicking and using the mouse to get through levels. i have made 4 of the levels and one of the bosses. How many levels should i have? I am thinking 9 because this game is far harder than any other game of mine. in fact, the third level is a real doozie (I never say that forgive me!)

yeah. well please tell me what you think and i am sorry but i can't really show you the game at the moment BUT i will make a link when its done.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Without seeing the game I'd say a million (18).
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

O_o

I'm a broken record when it comes to level design anyhow... in my eyes generated (i.e.INFINITE) content reigns supreme. Endless games ftw.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)

i was thinking of an infinite game where i keep adding levels... not this game though, even i find the first boss of MY OWN GAME hard (gotta beat him in a game of pong while dodging lasers)

Student
    such a useless thread,- way of wasting others time keep it up

all i wanted was feedback. anyways i have made link to level 1 and once you finish it automatically loads the next...

Click here.

Nothing that increases my post count and gets deleted without a trace is useless, render.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

what? what are you guys talking about? is the only way i am allowed to ask for feedback be if i make my game a source? Well NO because i don't want people ripping of my game!

Student
    try to be honest to yourself,- do you really really think anyone would make an effort into ripping the code of that? You are obviously not very expierenced by the looks of that demo so dont think to high of your product beeing worth and attractive to rippers.

As for the reason itself,- I think its pretty self explaining- talking about something without context (e.g screenshot, video or interactive link) is not worth chatting about at all. How should we be able to give any oppinion at all if we dont know what the game is like - not to mention how it really plays.

yeah i have heaps of friends (and i'll be suprised if you do too) that use flash and look up to me like the flash king, including some of my high school classmates.) leave me alone, alright? i wanted feedback not garbage and complete put-downs!

Ok, here's some honest feedback. The zombie level made no sense at first - the fake zombies have one slightly different colored eye? There needs to be a clearer explanation of which one is or isn't a zombie, they need to be easier to tell apart, and you need to make sure the zombies and non-zombies don't keep spawning on top of each other. The backgrounds were kind of obnoxious. You're probably not old enough to remember the websites back in the 90s that had those annoying blinking fonts all over the page, but that's sort of what you've got going on with your backgrounds. I'd just make it a nice gradient or something. The background shouldn't distract you from the game, and that's exactly what it's doing.

Also, the color scheme is pretty hard to look at. For example, when the game starts you've got a light blue and yellow background, an orange "loading" font, teal for the instruction box and start button, another shade of orange for the start button when you hover over it, and black/green/red/blue text. Plus the green text is a light font on a light background, which makes it very hard to read. If you're going to use solid colors like that, decide on 2 or 3 and only use slight variations of those colors, and make sure they compliment each other. Blue and orange compliment each other (as you can see by looking at this forum). Purple and gold compliment each other. Bright teal and lime green do not. You might want to read a book on web design, or even just design in general, if you plan on making your own graphics for your games. Otherwise, find someone who's artistically inclined to do it for you.

And for the record, I've seen some of the stuff renderhjs has done in Flash and I wouldn't be bragging if I were you. Your friends in high school might be impressed with your work, but quite honestly I don't think anyone here is. You've got a good foundation as far as the code is concerned - the only real bug I found was the aforementioned issue with zombies spawning on top of each other -but you've got a long way to go before you'll be on par with render and some of the other people here.

Normally I'd be a little more constructive with my criticism, but since you're the flash king and all my expectations were pretty high

what? i said my friends look up to me as a flash king!!! anyways this is basically a beta...

the zombies spawning on top of eachother? thats because they come in crowds! I don't see anything wrong with that!

but yes I do need to make it more obvious that zombies are too alike to fake ones, thank you for reminding me!

I was not bragging, i was saying that there are people who would just love to come and steal my script! trust me, i know some people who won't leave me alone about actionscript.

the crazy colour stripes in the background, well they're only for the menus, they are only temporary for when you're playing the level.

thank you for your feedback though, and i'll go fix them up now!

EDIT: i have just gone through and fixed everything up. i think i got what you meant about the zombie alien guys.

I am pretty satisfied with this feedback but i was looking for answers to these:

is the music good and suitable?

is a level too hard or easy?

and what i mainly came for: how many levels is enough?

Oh and also, YOU'RE A GENIUS! I played my game again and it looks even better than before!

I am fine with your very high expectations, i mean not wanting those will make games pieces of crap!
    Last edited by bounceboy; 03-23-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: stuff!

Well at least you know how to take criticism well, maybe there's hope for you yet.

The reason I don't like the zombies piling up is you sometimes get a fake zombie covering up a real zombie so you either have to click the fake zombie or let the real zombie go through. They can overlap, just make sure there's at least a good amount of space between them so they don't cover each other up. Personally, I would check the x and y position of the last spawned zombie before spawning a new one, and make sure it's at least 10 or 20 pixels away before placing it on the stage.

As for the fake ones, just draw them as people with normal-colored skin and zombie heads or something. Make it more obvious that it's a costume. The moving stripes need to disappear entirely, even from the menus. The only way you could make them less distracting is if you slowed them down considerably, and even then I'd rather see a solid color or a gradient or a graphic instead. If you want a good example of a moving background that works, check out Squize's game-in-development (http://www.gywgames.com/xDev/Updates/day20.html )

If you can fix all that and figure out a color scheme that looks good then you might have a decent game on your hands.

ok... now i get what you mean by the zombies. i can't really do too much about that. the most i could probably do would be making them slow down if they are touching a real zombie.

the zombies having normal eyes i think is better because if you were dressed up as a zombie you would at least have the right costume!
    i did make a little tag on their back! anyway i wanted this game to actually be hard, some of the hardness is getting taken away...

I like the stripes, but okay I'll halve their speed.

ooh... a gradient colour you say? hm... i may do that for just the bosses.

and could you please also answer these:

ok... now i get what you mean by the zombies. i can't really do too much about that. the most i could probably do would be making them slow down if they are touching a real zombie.

the zombies having normal eyes i think is better because if you were dressed up as a zombie you would at least have the right costume!
    i did make a little tag on their back! anyway i wanted this game to actually be hard, some of the hardness is getting taken away...

I like the stripes, but okay I'll halve their speed.

ooh... a gradient colour you say? hm... i may do that for just the bosses.

and could you please also answer these:

EDIT: SORRY, CAN'T Change the zombie thing!!!
    Last edited by bounceboy; 03-23-2009 at 08:38 AM.

The menus are still kind of distracting. Like I said above, the moving stripes need to be gone. You might be able to get away with the stripes if they're static, or slowly moving, but right now it's too much. You also might want to consider adding a loading bar or something that indicates how much progress has been made loading the level. That's something that actually would work if you used moving stripes, a long as they're subtle, like light-blue and white or something like that. The problem is the stripes moving indicates action - something is happening - and you're using it for a background - something that should be pretty much ignored.

The music isn't bad. The first level I found a little bit annoying but the other two seemed to fit pretty well. The levels aren't exactly hard, but level 2 and 3 aren't necessarily too easy. I think the problem with level 1 is it's more tedious than anything. I'd consider axing the entire first level, unless you can think of something to add to it to make it more than just click, release, click, release, click, release.

I actually like what you did with the fake zombies - they're a lot easier to tell apart now. I also noticed that you're just adding things off the stage and then having them move onto the stage. The problem with that is you see them when they're off the stage. You should be dynamically attaching and removing them from the stage, or at least hiding them initially until they can be seen. Or maybe just add a mask to the entire stage so that anything outside of it isn't seen. There are plenty of different ways to fix that.

As for how many levels you should have, it really comes down to how much content you have. If the entire game is going to follow the same basic layout (point-and-click, kill this and avoid that) then you're going to have a hard time squeezing too many levels out of it. If you plan on having different games and every set of levels follows a theme, then it really depends on how many good ideas and how many good levels you can come up with. The better the game is, the more inclined people will be to keep playing.
    Last edited by DoomOfTheLiving; 03-23-2009 at 08:47 AM.

yes, you see i am only making the swf viewable alone for you guys to look at. when the game's done, i put it into a html file and it will be its normal size instead of large like it is.

what sorta scares me is you comment on how you like my changes when i haven't actually updated that part yet.

but yeah, I'm used to... well that kinda stuff.

okay i will slow down the moving background i am getting to that right now...

you do know it doesn't take a few seconds!!!

please slow down and wait for my signal to have a look!!!

OH AND... for level one, i need something that isn't too hard. its pretty easy, i know. but you need some sort of warm up in a game/ something that will sorta show the kind of style of the game.

EDIT: DING DING DING! YOU CAN HAVE A LOOK AT MY GAME NOW!
    Last edited by bounceboy; 03-23-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bounceboy
    what sorta scares me is you comment on how you like my changes when i haven't actually updated that part yet.
    I'm not sure what you mean. The zombies now have white eyes and a little yellow flag (or whatever that is) attached to them, so you must have changed it. I just clicked the same link that you provided earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by bounceboy
    OH AND... for level one, i need something that isn't too hard. its pretty easy, i know. but you need some sort of warm up in a game/ something that will sorta show the kind of style of the game.
    Well then consider making the first level an optional training level or something. You have to consider the fact that people might want to play the game more than once. There's no point in making people go through a level that shows them how to play if they already know how.

oh yeah sorry about that, its just i am doing 3 things at once, it really confuses me. anyways i am making a preloader and i have made the first level slightly harder (added one or two guys)

EDIT: there, i've made a simple preloader for all the games.

also i have looked at that link you gave to me before but all that was, was 3 letter blocks and some sentence.

ANOTHER EDIT FOR SOME REASON: Hm... if you look back at my old games (you can't really, i mean i have recently remade my website) you'll see bits where i rushed and didn't enjoy making the game. this game i am enjoying. i am set out to make 9 levels, but i was wondering if i should make a whole bunch of boss levels at the end or make a few bonus levels.
    Last edited by bounceboy; 03-23-2009 at 09:30 AM.