A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Scarygirl game goes LIVE!

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar

[COOL] Scarygirl Game

@ Scarygirl.com

You guys have to check this game out. 16 levels of platforming goodness. Awesome artwork as well. I've been awaiting its release since I first heard about it 6 months ago.

The game and site are by Touch My Pixel in Australia. They've got a blog where they talked about some of the bitmapData techniques they used, a few of you have posted there already .

I made it to level 9 so far, it's got a neat e-mail based saving system that's pretty seamless (just put in a e-mail and pass) so you can come back anytime.

That's it, check it out!

Scarygirl game goes LIVE!

Over a year of work, and pain, and we now get to present to you the Scarygirl game.

Please check it out at http://www.scarygirl.com/ - and please, post love notes and criticism here!

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Beautiful beautiful game! Much love went in to this! I played for about an hour and saved my progress. Must continue later
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

As I just posted, it's clear to see how much love went in to this game! Clearly the best game I've seen in ages! Great job and pat on the shoulder for you and your team

Oh, this would go in the love note category Criticism must wait till I've played some more!

Amazing style and atmosphere. One of the coolest games this year definitely.
    My only criticism would be that attacking was pretty hard sometimes because of the small reach
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

If this looks confusing somehow then I have merged the threads

Great game anyway.

awesome game. beautiful artwork. well done all round!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

*BUMP*
    I don't think this game got the credit/feedback it deserved, so I thought I'd give it a second shot.

Considering the old discussions about larger flash games being feasible, I think this is quite interesting.

If you don't have time to play, at least check the video:
    http://www.touchmypixel.com/?request=Project&id=1

Mmm, this game is really fantastic, very nice... one of the best...... only played it for about 30 mins though (forced myself) as it's not my type of game, but it deserved it.

It is stunning.

"Considering the old discussions about larger flash games being feasible, I think this is quite interesting."

I'm sure I read ( On the dev blog ? ) that it took 9 months ( Or that was the scheduled dev time for it and it slipped slightly. I really should check things before posting blindly )
    I don't know if that was full time development, I'm guessing it's not, but it's a hell of a long time. Say it wasn't full time, so you could get that down to say 3/4 months full time work ( Rough guess I know ).
    That's a really costly game.

In an ideal world a lot of people who control budgets will see it and want that sort of quality. I think in real life they'll balk at paying a couple of coders, a designer, an artist or two, and a project manager 3 months pay ( Not to mention the sound guy and some testing / feedback groups ).

Don't want to sound overly negative ( The game itself is fantastic and a shoe in for a ton of awards ) but most clients with the budget for something like this don't want the console quality game, they want the multi-episode or multi-platform games ( For example death in sakkara used roughly the size of team as I mentioned above and took 3/4 months. For a client episodic games give a nice bump in traffic with every release and create an active following around them. That's like catnip to a client ).

This is why there are so few quality arcade / console quality games in Flash.

Squize.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    It is stunning.

"Considering the old discussions about larger flash games being feasible, I think this is quite interesting."
    Indeed! This is a prime example on how a finalized Flash game could get close to any other console title of the same genre - hopefully, with the rise of the casual gaming market, people will use Flash more and more, if only for prototyping, and we will see more of those "professional" projects.

Of course, I completly love it ...It really has a "Tim Burton" feel to it.