A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: If nothing's been signed... Do I own a percentage of the site?

Harry Tuttle phantomflanflinger's Avatar

If nothing's been signed... Do I own a percentage of the site?

Hello again! Things don't change much around here! I was just wondering about this:

If I've designed an entire site for a client, which turns a healthy profit, under no written contract and all the pages cite me as having joint copyright, e.g. the meta tags all say copyright="phantomflanflinger & his client", if my client wanted to sell the site would I be entitled to a percentage? N.B. - I would be prepared to hire a lawyer to get a percentage.

I live in the UK, as does the client: British law applies. I think he'd rather like to sell the site, take all the cash and give me nothing. Neither of us has signed anything.

If you have an unwritten gentleman's agreement with someone who's no gentleman... This is where you find yourself.
    We're all in it together

Harry Tuttle phantomflanflinger's Avatar
    Of course, if nothing's been signed I've got no protection.... But then, neither has the client.
    We're all in it together

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    This is a weird one, but I'd say (not having any legal basis, just personal opinion) just leave it alone and let the client do whatever, unless it's some real large chunk of change you're talking about. Then you MAY be able to fight it in court, but I'd consult with a lawyer first.

If the client is cooperative, get a contract now and strike up some kind of fair deal. If not, count your losses and move on with a learning experience.