A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: adobe vs. gerbick | Seek Shelter

the canvas size does not do that justice.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

-_-
    Gerbick, I don't think I can get a image together until the weekend, due to all the crap we are getting at the end of the year. I might start something, I have some ideas, but there isn't a chance of anything before Saturday. Hope that's all right.

@silver
    I agree.

Take your time. I did. As you had stated before; there was no time mentioned on turnarounds.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Gerbick, I'm interested to see what the original stocks were for this piece because I sense that an enormous amount of stitching went into it. There is so much detail between building erosion, destroyed public transit and tangled power lines that I find myself darting around the image almost in a panic, looking for any stranded survivors that I might have missed.

One of the biggest components of your drop that I want to pat you on the back for is your use of color which is managed beautifully and I can tell you maintained a focus on that. What's more, you stitched all of your elements together very well. Nothing seems unusual as though the size of one particular element is disproportionate to where it is located in relation to everything else, and there is certainly a lot of everything else. The sign in the bottom right (manila folder?) is a nice touch that I think maintains a bit humor but you've also managed to blend it into the scene so that it does not distract the viewer from the rest of the composition. I could live without the swirling vectors to the top [left] but they do not seem to lessen my overall intrigue. All of this is very well summed up with smart text treatment. I know there is more that I will notice as look at your drop again in the future, and that's what I like so much about it.

Adobemedia, I'll drop you a critique soon but I'm now running a little late for work so I'll have to resume this post later today or tomorrow.

Peace.
    Last edited by Zacaboo288; 05-07-2009 at 11:26 AM.

One thing I wanted to address, was that the swirls were unfinished wind gusts with debris but I had delayed things so much, I just posted it. Not enough time to finish that, add bits of garbage and whatnot in front of the nuclear bomb/fire.

That addition existed because I wanted the eyes to follow in a diagonal down from top left to bottom right, which is sometimes counter-intuitive. People tend to scan straight across then diagonally down/left making a letter Z basically, but for once I was going for a straight shot.

Thanks for your kudos Zac. The color was actually accidental. Three overlays, two gradients and one big mistake and a very slight shift from the original.

Damn good reply gerbzilla!! Damn good indeed. Loved the creepy desolated mood it has, and the gerbick box touch
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

-_-
    Well, I ended up getting some time in to do this. I'm happy the way it turned out, by far one of my best pieces, but there were some elements that I wanted to do that made it into the image, but I didn't really get right. As much as I like this image, something just is missing, but I can't put my finger on it.

Anyway... to the dump!
    Last edited by Adobemedia; 05-07-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Your contrast needs to be pulled out a bit and the colors are a bit lost. The text treatment isn't half bad at all though - just would have loved to have seen it up a bit higher. And a more detailed sky would have pulled this together - it needs clouds.

The texture is a bit overdone - pull back and use Soft Light and drop the opacity if it were dark. And the side textures don't help frame the image properly, imho.

The depth of field though, dips down a bit in the middle of the screen but is pushed back on the edges. Not a bad image, just pointing out what was obvious to me.

I have an idea what I'll do next but not too sure on the time.

-_-
    Thanks for the crits, Gerbick. I see what you are saying about the sky, I wish I hadn't left it so plain.

Time is not a problem at all.

EDIT: I revised it a bit, took your suggestions into consideration. This is not replacing the original image, I'd just like to know if this is any better contrast wise. (And yes, those are clouds.)
    Last edited by Adobemedia; 05-07-2009 at 06:11 PM.

It helped. Those are palettes in the far right, I thought those were logs in the original.

You can have texture and contrast, and still have the midrange pop out. I'd almost say that you went too far the other direction.

The uneven depth of field still is present yet the sky could be "bluer" and more menacing - calm before the story type of stuff.

Good work, and you cleaned up some aspects that honestly I had guessed about and missed - and I'm on a calibrated set of monitors.

-_-
    The depth of field, unfortunately, was part of the grass layer. I would re-do it if I could, but it would require re-painting a lot of the 'dirt' areas. The one on the far right was actually made by erasing the grass texture above it. :/

As for the clouds, I played around with the brightness/contrast and I still can't get the clouds to look better. I want them to jump out, and they don't. I might try darkening the background though.

Cloud layer... duplicate, (top layer) desaturate, play with levels to make the blacks much darker, then switch to Soft Light, drop opacity to about 55% to 75%.

Now, overlay a dark blue to slightly lighter blue gradient over the two cloud layers where the lighter blue is over the horizon, play with the layer application method and drop the opacity - I used 80% and Soft Light.

The left is enhanced, right is the original.

-_-
    Hmmm,

Now play with it... you can create a true horizon look by layers, blurring a duplicate and then applying a layer mask to make it more realistic.

It just takes patience. But to me, I see some seams, but it looks better imho.

amazing work Gerbick, did u blow up the town yourself? how did u do it?? (not questioning your ability, just wanna learn how-to )

adobe: u need to work on perspective. Whatever that is on the right looks out of place and it is killing the pic (same for the clouds). Things should gradually get smaller and flatter to the horizon as you look further away. You need to know the fundamentals of perspective before you can pull off any life-like design. (I suggest you open any realistic landscape pic and line it side by side with your design. You will see that real clouds do not appear like what you have now).

-_-
    Well, I think I've edited it enough, and I don't want to clog the thread up with more edits.

@juju
    The clouds were actually part of the grass image before. When I started working, I had to move the sky and grass into different layers. So, now, I am basically following what Gerbick said, but I have it constrained to that cloud layer's dimensions.

-_-
    I hate to ask you again, but are ya still up for this?

lol, for a person that didn't specify time limits, there seems to be one.

How about this... let me just ask you now. What would you rather the return/turnaround be? Just be out with it... I hate guessing and I dislike there being an implicit one.

-_-
    You're right, lets say three days? I think that's reasonable.

You seriously should have stated that in the very beginning.

Give me a day or so. Work has my attention right now, but I'll see if I can **** out something in this new deadline.