A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: adobe vs. gerbick | Seek Shelter

thats to bad, even without this is one of my favorite images of this battle.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

like gerbick said, a more contrasting sky would have added TONS of depth to this image. all others are spot on with their comments.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    And your comment about the "sheep like structure"... seriously dude. It's not the focus at all. Because it's at the bottom doesn't make it focus. That part trails from the focal point, the tail end of the tornado with the debris. And that lightning bolt - it was like that in the stock.
    Then have it your way. It was only something to consider.

And as far as the bird reflection is concerned, I'm not sure if you are trying to enlighten me or just have a debate. You went from calling the reflection a shadow to trying to convince me to a take a field course on reflection. I don't know what to make of your response.
    Last edited by Zacaboo288; 05-16-2009 at 02:10 AM.

He stated it was a reflection after I stated shadow.

Thus I corrected in my latter responses.

Have it my way? Wow. I was merely pointing out something.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I beg your pardon, it just seems that you are quick to antagonize my critiques but clearly my digression is based on assumption so I'll just take a shot in the dark here.

Perhaps your tornado with debris spinning about is a compositional focal point. Something else to consider is that because of the natural cone shape of a tornado, attention is drawn downward along the contour of the twister. Well on top of this, you intentionally placed a lightening bolt at the tail end of it which brings attention downward even further. The lightening isn't just emerging from anywhere, after all, it's emerging from some object of sorts which is implicit and attention grabbing.

As far as the lightening bolt dimension goes, I know that it was like that in the stock because I checked the stocks. I just thought that's what Photoshop was for.

Quote Originally Posted by Adobemedia View Post
    Hehe silver, I was *this* close to a lens flare, but I am not a big fan of filters-- I stopped that a long time ago. I just didn't know about it, so I left it out.
    Yeah, maybe a lens flare may have looked good, and believe me, im not into filters either, I think they destroy images if used incorrectly, but there are millions of other option for adding a nice looking flare or any other light distortion effect other than filters. Even a soft brush overlayed on a harder edged brush can give a cool light effect, specially above water.

Just my .02
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

-_-
    I'll keep that in mind next time nightwish. Thanks.
    thats to bad, even without this is one of my favorite images of this battle.
    I think it's my favorite image out of my three.
    I progressed a lot in this battle, which is great.
    Last edited by Adobemedia; 05-16-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacaboo288 View Post
    I beg your pardon, it just seems that you are quick to antagonize my critiques but clearly my digression is based on assumption so I'll just take a shot in the dark here.

Perhaps your tornado with debris spinning about is a compositional focal point. Something else to consider is that because of the natural cone shape of a tornado, attention is drawn downward along the contour of the twister. Well on top of this, you intentionally placed a lightening bolt at the tail end of it which brings attention downward even further. The lightening isn't just emerging from anywhere, after all, it's emerging from some object of sorts which is implicit and attention grabbing.

As far as the lightening bolt dimension goes, I know that it was like that in the stock because I checked the stocks. I just thought that's what Photoshop was for.
    If a person counters your critiques with explanations only; that's not antagonizing in the least. If I had simply said "no, you're wrong" and left it at that; then yeah. I'd understand your point of view.

I did no such thing.

The funny thing though, I only offered more insight into why things were placed where, how I saw it, explained my point of view. And it's somehow whipped you into an uproar when somebody offers more information into the process that went into it?

Anything else you want to get off your chest since you've decided to be just angry about something I didn't even do or say? Seriously dude, you want to come after me for absolutely nothing but an explanation into why an image was made and how?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Anything else you want to get off your chest since you've decided to be just angry about something I didn't even do or say?
    Actually, yeah there is. I'd like to apologize. I'm really sorry if I offended you and if I was out of line then I promise it was only because I've had a ****ty week and I think I'm feeling the effects of it start to manifest through my actions. I've seen your work, you're very talented. On top of that, you offer honest, straightforward advice to others when you can give it and I think that's a great thing. You didn't do anything wrong, Gerbick, and I apologize for attacking you. If anything, I'm sure you have a lot more to teach me about graphic design than I do you, and I'm humbled when you critique my work. I hope you can accept my sincere apology. What's more, I'm sorry for drawing any attention away from the original purpose of this thread which is certainly not to propel into personal quarreling. That's not fair to either you or Adobemedia.

Sampled the light from the lighthouse, expanded on your bird - painted in highlights and a few other samples from your image - very sublime.

And for the record, each volley I've done was with Corel Painter X.

Zac, you're fine man. I just was taken by surprise by that outburst.

-_-
    Eeek. Fish!
    Very nice work there man.
    Now what that image needed was a mutilated dead bird in one of the fish's mouths.

Just wondering, where did you get/how did you find the stock of the water on top? I was going to try something like that for my previous volley, but I couldn't seem to figure out the right search terms.

Painter? Never really used it. The first volley from you was in Painter too? That's interesting.

Good battle man. Until we meet again.
    Last edited by Adobemedia; 05-17-2009 at 11:01 PM.

I know this is an old thread but Damn Damn Damn the images do not get old! sick work clean work.
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

-_-
    Gerbick's first return is insane.

Yes it was! Im working on a battle with YBAB now been a loooooooooong long time since I have done so. I need that creative spark since i have been doing cookie cutter type images. We shall see how weak my skills have become.
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

-_-
    Yeah, a real pity this place has died out. When it was alive it was really an inspiring and educational experience.

The closer I get to this image the more I like it. It's like you've designed it knowing it's going to be viewed with the little dark bars between the pixels. If you ever see someone with their face glued to a screen looking at this it's probs me. Gerbick for president.
    subgenius.com

HOW. DO. YOU. GET. SO. GOOD? The compositional balance is exception and just the right level of dynamics and movement to the focal points I'm finding. The colours (I'm Australian) are supurb. Only wish it maybe a bit of movement or strength to the text.
    subgenius.com