A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: simple flv player with play button for website - any help please!!

Question simple flv player with play button for website - any help please!!

Hello

I am a newcomer here!

I am oriented around html/css webdesign, and graphic design in photoshop, but know nothing of Flash, and i am attempting to learn!

I have found a lot of complex tutorials but none that fit my specification. All i need to know is how to make an interface incorporating a play button which plays a .flv file. I already have a .flv file ready and the graphic i want to use for the button, but no idea how to begin.

The .flv i want to play is a short 3-4 minute clip of someone talking including audio - i dont know the best way to play it and have heard of different options including embedding or somehow linking to an external flv file.

I have tried various tutorials to try to achieve a simple interface with play button - i dont need a skin, rewind, forward, etc, just a play button and for it to go away while the video is playing, and perhaps a pause/stop button in the corner of the swf, over the top of the flv file itself. But I have had no success, mainly due to errors within the actionscript

Can anybody help or point me in the right direction of a good tutorial??

Any help would be much appreciated!

Emma

Thanks very much for showing me that - looks exactly what id like to do!

I take it that the notes there are to indicate what i have to set up in flash in order to add that code and make it work, but im not sure how and where to add any of those, especially the actual actionscript part (i think this goes in the first frame of a seperate layer called actions - am i right?) and how to set up the pause button (how it only shows when the movie is playing, and how the play button jumps from centre to bottom left..)

Could you perhaps spare a couple of minutes to explain or suggest someplace for me to learn how to do something like what youve done here?

The website ill be adding to is my own portfolio site xemmarosex.co.uk, it wouldnt be anything commercial, and i will happily credit you if you like

Thankyou
    Emma

everything is on frame#1 -

the FLV_Playback component - instance name - FLVPlybck
    the play button - instance name - btn_play
    the pause movieclip - instance name - pauser
    the actionscript on frame#1

the play button and the pause movieclip use the _visible property to show/hide.
    the pause movieclip has two frames, first frame a stop action and the pause graphic
    the second frame has the play graphic.

when the play button (center of screen) is pressed it's _visible property is set to false
    and the _visible property of the pause/play movieclip is set to true.

to test, add the above objects to stage, give them the correct instance names,
    copy/paste the actionscript to frame#1 and test movie.

the only line that needs changing is the content path to your FLV file. -
    FLVPlybk.contentPath ="w50s.flv";

Thankyou - ive tried to put your words into process by trying to copy what youve done on the page you showed me (nice website by the way!) but because i am a complete newbie im finding it v hard to comprehend (sorry, feel like a complete idiot)

When you say everything is on frame 1, do you mean each bit has a different layer, and on each layer you insert the item onto frame one?

You mention the 2 frame movie clip - would this be 'pauser'? In frame one, would i put the pause button in the bottom left? And frame 2 the play button in the center or in same place? And how do i incorporate the stop action - do i have to put anything else except a play and pause button into each frame eg any actionscript?

Im not sure if you would be okay to do this, but is it perhaps poss to send me your fla so i can see how it all goes together? Or could i send you mine, when i have another go, so you can see what im doing wrong?

Thanks again for all the help - out of all the forums yours was the only reply and i am very grateful

Emma

Flash 8 file attached.
    hope this helps
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thankyou! Im sure it will help no end! When i put it on my website, which URL would you like me to credit for the player?

Also, had a browse around your site - do you have/could you recommend a good tutorial about making your own custom flash player (I have cs3)

Emma

no need to credit me

for a custom player a good start would be to Google - custom flash flv player

Hello, getting on slowly but surely building custom players now, thankyou for the help you gave me

Im having a little bit of a problem with a .flv file i was sent to put into a flash document with the same setup as the file you sent me - pause_playback.zip.

Im not sure why, but i get an error message every time i try to load the .flv

Ive tried same method with other .flv files i have to make sure - it is definitely just this one. I want to figure out whats up with it and have no clue about encoding, the way it was sent to me (first on CD then ZIP in email) - is it poss for me to send it to youjust to see if you can open it in Flash?

Emma

upload the flv to some webspace and link to it
    i'm sure someone will check it out for you

Thanks for that! This is just what i want is there a swf and then can i just upload a flv what should the flv file be called on the server?

sorry Jaffa but i don't understand

download the zip file (05-04-2009, 05:55 PM post)

the only line that needs changing is the content path to your FLV file. -
    FLVPlybk.contentPath ="w50s.flv";

Oh ok i don't have flash. So i will need something i can use externally.

here is a modified file.
    it receives the flv name from a text file.

if you need to change the flv player size, you must get a copy of Flash
    Attached Files Attached Files

Could ya publish the swf player a_modified_dog,... that's the fla.

Yeah a copy of flash would to good so i could get back to playing again but since this Vista would not take flash MX it pushed me out couple year ago.

sorry .. my bad
    here's the swf file

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffasoft View Post
    Oh ok i don't have flash. So i will need something i can use externally.
    You can use playerdiy.com, which is easier than using Adobe Flash, yet can make good-looking custom flash video player for website. Here is the tutorial.

Banned
    check here, they have all kinds of video players

http://flashden.net?ref=sixtyacura