A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Union server

Union server

http://www.unionplatform.com/?page_id=30

from colin mook, could be interesting, reading up on it now.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Nice. I used to use the old unity server of his. Thanks for posting.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    Cool, I'll look into it as well, I tried the unity server once upon a time.

Glad to see your back... for now...
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

Beautiful! Months of searching, even going to get the MMOcha API from XGenStudios, and I find just what I'm looking for back home, here at Flashkit!

Good find! I'm going to start playing with this very soon!
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Pazil View Post
    Beautiful! Months of searching, even going to get the MMOcha API from XGenStudios, and I find just what I'm looking for back home, here at Flashkit!

Good find! I'm going to start playing with this very soon!
    Yeah I'm planning on messing with it this weekend, if I'm not doing anything.

Finals are comin up so ya, gonna be busy. Looks great though.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Live and working examples would be good. Looks alright though and I like the fact that they provide a free testing server, so anyone can fiddle around!
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

yeah, mooks a good guy

all for the community and junk.

It looks good but I can't find anywhere on the site how it will be distributed ? Open source ?

[edit] oops it looks like you just can download the components to make your own apps but it's not open source : http://www.unionplatform.com/?page_id=437

@phreax, you have a lot of example codes here : http://www.unionplatform.com/?page_id=44
    Last edited by Sietjp; 05-06-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    yup yup, I saw the chat code and all...but a demo of the chat would be nice...plus a demo showing some super awesome power feature like real-time Street Fighter II with no lag
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Their is a demo of the chat.... it's right there... type under the black line and click enter. (don't worry i was confused too...)

I trust those guys to make a good job. But what if we need some specific features server side for a specific game ? For example if you want to implement a server side login feature in your database.

Well there's a Union Server API / SDK, so I'd assume that you would need to do server-side programs/scripts through that. I don't have any experience in server-side anyways, but so far from what I've tested, the Client API's lookin' shweet! So far I'm getting a message sent and recieved within 143 milliseconds on a pretty old machine, so as long as you keep the messages sent within maybe 2 or so per second, then it should hold up somewhat for real-time shooters.

I'm gonna start working on a simple avatar chat room demo probably...and then as soon as I get a decent Shooter engine worked up, I'm heading for something like Stick Arena, except a bit less comical...Or multiplayer Zombie shooter. This seems like a solid API...so far.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I'ma shoot for a gameshow type game. Those be very popular back in the day until the website went down for copyright stuff... I will try it. May work, may not. I haven't any experience with multiplayer games with servers and stuff.. I've only messed around with it a few times. Let's hope it's easy. I just can't wrap my brain around it. You have to be very general and I ain't good at that, lol

weird new avatar malee.... I wanna change mine, but its what everyone knows me by... NICE!

nice Pazil, I had a brief look at the API and I do like what I see, events attached to rooms rather than the big daddy server is nice, and makes sense to. Thats what throws me off smartfox, forgetting what data I have access to, debugging for hours only to find out that the client was in a room that they shouldn't be in and doesn't receive proper events.

Sam, yeah, i'm all grown up now, but still angry.

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Anything else like server side logins can be handled by PHP.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .hooligan View Post
    I was wondering if anybody had some articles/threads about login systems like this through Flash? The only security I really know of is a hash based one, but this can be easily faked client-side if you decompile the .swf to find the hash equation, then catch and modify the variables being sent from the PHP to the Flash and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by .hooligan View Post
    I guess it's more secure if the multiuser server opens and store itself the login session. If you open a session on your php server from the flash app, it works for the normal players but it will not prevent a hacker to send request/spam/cheats to the multiuser server from a custom client.

"Add reactor.swc to your favourite ActionScript editor’s Library Path."

What does that mean?.... I have downloaded the file, but don't understand what to do with it :P. I've tried importing it, and just open it, but it's just "unknown file extention" thingy message.

"Please note: Reactor is not currently compatible with Flash CS3 due to .swc incompatibilities between Flex 3 and Flash CS3. Flash authoring tool users should compile with Flash CS4."

I don't know much about different Flash versions, but the one I'm using is called "Macromedia Flash MX Professional 2004", is that CS2, or something? :P..... can the Union thingy be used with my version?

I just noticed that the swc file is just a zip file, but with another extention (probably to hide editing), as it says PK as the first letters in the file, I knew it was zip, it includes 2 files, "catalog.xml", "library.swf", but that doesn't help me :P
    Last edited by Geneve; 05-27-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Flash MX Professional 2004 can only compile to as2.0, not 3.0. And as it mentions, to upgrade for free you can use the Flex 3.3 SDK and FlashDevelop, and start scripting away. MX 04 is pretty outdated by now, though of course as2.0 is still very handy.

To start using the reactor.swc you just need to drag it in the folder where you're document class is, and then you can start rolling away.

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

To start using the reactor.swc you just need to drag it in the folder where you're document class is

Uhm, what's a "document class", do you mean like, the folder where I have my source files?, ie .fla? I don't use .as files like I've seen others use.

Well, when pasting the 3 line code:

Code:
    import net.user1.reactor.UConnection();
    var connection:UConnection = new UConnection();
    connection.open("tryunion.com", 9100);
    in the timeline, I just get a bunch of error messages, even in "Adobe Flash CS3 Professional" (btw, is this version much better?, it has CS3 ofc, but I only know how to code in CS2).... man, I so want to get this multiplayer thingy to work.