A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Protecting my site from a "hacker"? Please help!

purple lizard

Exclamation Protecting my site from a "hacker"? Please help!

My website (http://www.lizardproductions.net/) recently got a threatening message from a supposed “hacker” on the main page… I’m only 13 years old and I don’t know much about Dreamweaver, apart from how to make templates and pages and upload them to the server… Has anybody got some tips on how I might be able to prevent my site from possibly being hacked?

It turns out the hacker knows my name, so he might be somebody from ASCIImator or Bonus Level.
    I've got the shakes now...

Also, the hacker could just be someone from my school trying to scare me...
    I'd still like some help on protecting my site though.
    Last edited by gecko.jsc; 05-05-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    For kids your age: Don't use obvious passwords or tell people your password. Nobody "hacked" your site. Someone either figured out your password or knew it, went in, made a few edits, done.

Real hackers don't do they. They'd rather install spamming bots on your server or something and make it NOT obvious. Then compromise the machine to somehow help them make money.

Don't worry about it, just change your password, and don't tell people what it is. #1 rule in life.

purple lizard
    Thanks. I feel better now. Nobody's actually hacked my site yet, and I think you're right. I'm still puzzled as to how they knew my name. I've never seen their IP address before, it's different to all the others in the list of messages, and they claim that they aren't from my school or from ASCIImator.net (which is why I mentioned Divinity Boy to him)...

Any tips on what I should do next?

I take it it wouldn't be a good idea to block the person's IP in case they are capable of changing it.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Just ignore them. They're not going to do anything. If you're really paranoid, change your password. Use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols for the most secure.

For example, a password of: jd$kdi&@
    is more secure than: awesome