A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Away3d simple third-person camera

Cool Away3d simple third-person camera

Ok I will be point blank about this. I want a following camera in away3d scene that looks at an object.

What I want the aspects of it to be is simple.

I would want it to not move left and right when you click on keys to move left and right. But just stay put and have the character alone move right.

But when you press keys to move forward in backward it moves at the same angle the character moves. Just a typical third person camera. Nothing to hard, Its just that I have been trying to do this for a long time and have yet to figure out how!

For an example of what I want, if you have ever played Jak and Daxter the Precurser Legacy. I want it to be something like that style. Doesn't move left and right. Just forward and backward along the angle it is facing, which would be the direction where your character is.

Can anyone point me out on how I would get this done?, Please someone help!

Uh, I haven't used the latest versions for away3d, but there was always a camera.lookAt() function that you could just pass any other object in the scene to. If you don't want the camera to pan or tilt as the character moves left and right, why not just create a Point3D somewhere far off in the distance behind the character, and have the camera lookAt() that to start out with, then just move the camera along whatever axis the character is moving on (z, presumably) as the character moves...

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by joshstrike View Post
    Uh, I haven't used the latest versions for away3d, but there was always a camera.lookAt() function that you could just pass any other object in the scene to. If you don't want the camera to pan or tilt as the character moves left and right, why not just create a Point3D somewhere far off in the distance behind the character, and have the camera lookAt() that to start out with, then just move the camera along whatever axis the character is moving on (z, presumably) as the character moves...
    I probably should of said this but this problem is solved mostly. My problem wasn't getting the camera set up behind target but more of getting it to move along the same angle, but problem fixed now so I'm done here...