A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swift 3d help...

noob in training

Angry Swift 3d help...

Erm... I screwed up my mesh during modeling... So... I was trying to use png textures on plains as decals for my model. But then, this turned out to be the result... Help me please... Thank you very much in advance.

Did you cut or break out that part of the mesh via Advanced Modeler?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

noob in training
    Wow, SWOOOPAH MOD! Erm... What does that means... How do i do that? My first time texturing with Swift...

Supermod, or super moderator, means simply that I can moderate this entire site in all areas. I also can remove accounts. But mostly, I started as the Swift3D moderator.

You've not stated which version of Swift3D, so I'm going to assume it's 5.0.

Now, with that said... your texture. It's placed onto your "collar" of your mech somehow. Did you place and move it onto the "collar" polys or did you place it on a small plane and overlay it?

By "breaking out a selection", I was talking about if you had applied your texture within the Advanced Modeler.

So... care to answer some questions so I can help further? From what little I see, you shouldn't see that dark area unless you applied it to a plane above the "collar" and that's a shadow.

noob in training
    i apply this png transparent texture on a plain above the collar. Yes, it's 5.0

Ah, my friend. That's not the best way to do it. You will invariably end up with something that looks like this:

And that's not using the power of Swift3D and it's ability to texture properly.

So with that, let's look at a better way of doing it - mind you, I did this in like a few moments. It's untweaked and with proper time, it should look better than my 5 minute example.

First off, create a true texture. As a habit, I tend to create a texture per object to avoid overlapping and honestly because Swift3D does not have UV Wrapping like I'm used to in 3DS Max, so for this quick example, I created a largeCaution.png:

Excuse the size. It was the first size that opened up in Photoshop. I recreated your caution logo quickly.

(You'll skip this part since you already have the geometry) Then opened up Swift3D, created a quick lathe.

And went straight to the material editor (Setup > Materials), grabbed the first category (Bitmap), then selected the first Material (ER-10-Planet-Sun) and copied the Material. Entered into the copy via Edit, renamed it to "Label", changed the bitmap to largeCaution.png and disallowed X and Y tiling. I just want the "caution" label to show up once.

Then from there, with the object selected, entered the Advanced Modeler tab, then entered into Texture Edit mode:

Then from there you can use the tools to the left of that button: Move, Rotate and Scale. With some tweaking, I moved the label where I wanted. Don't be afraid to have to flip, scale and skew some labels - the original was made in Photoshop and I left it layered - if you end up on some odd angles or faces of your model, you can edit the label sometimes quicker than the model. But if you wish to edit the model per node, do so in the Advanced Modeler.

And on the render, I got this:

It's just a few moments and I got the placement, but I'd need to tweak the material a bit to get it perfect. But that's not bad for 5 minutes. And no shadows either.

Another quick alternative would be to create the label as geometry out as legacy *.ai within Adobe Illustrator, extrude it rather low/thin on the Z-properties and then align it with the collar and you'd also avoid that plane shadow too.

There's plenty of other methods to do the same thing. But layering planes with transparent PNG's will end up with that shadow you had earlier - funny how I've run into that before.

Hope this helps. That's two different options and it took longer to type this than to do that version above. Even less if you recreate it all in Illustrator and align perhaps.

Good luck.

noob in training
    Thank you so much swoopah mod. I think i messed up the polys of my model... Erm... Is there any guide that i can learn to model the "proper" way?

wtf is a swoopah mod!?

By the looks of it, I'd almost already say that you got the modeling part down pat. Your mech is pretty damn awesome.

It's the texture mapping that you were having a problem with. Remove the plane, do the above and your mech will be just ok.

noob in training
    I tried your texturing method. Worked for most of the parts... But then my body kinda screwed up... Here...

ps: swoopah is another way to reading out super.
    Last edited by ashed-dreams; 05-07-2009 at 03:03 AM.

That one line I had about having multiple bitmaps for different parts.

I'd suggest using that. You're using the same material over and over, where it should only be applied where you need it. Duplicate, clear out the caution logo, re-apply where caution isn't needed.

noob in training

Alright.. i think i'll just forget about the body part. Now with cell shaded map.

Looking great man. You're quite talented.

noob in training
    Couldn't have done it without your help. Will Update again when i'm done with it.

Do share. Your work has inspired me to start back into Swift3D dude.

noob in training
    Woot. Good to have you back into the Swift3d community. Latest concept art kind of thing... Erm... Slopish photoshop concept... LOL...

noob in training
    The last thing he needs is a one hell of bad-ass gun.

Dude, looking very sharp.

noob in training

Something new

Nice work !
    I didn't even know there is a 3d section in FK.

noob in training
    His bad ass gun.
    Last edited by ashed-dreams; 05-17-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: update