A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Protecting front end part of SWF from decompilers

At the Door of da Flash Maze

Exclamation Protecting front end part of SWF from decompilers

This might sound stupid; but im gonna ask it anyways;

I know there are softwares which can protect the swf files from decompilers; where the actionscript appears to be gibberish once decompiled. My question is is there any way i can make sure the swf catcher cant find the swf file to download?

Please reply as soon as possible....

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoots View Post
    This might sound stupid; but im gonna ask it anyways;

I know there are softwares which can protect the swf files from decompilers; where the actionscript appears to be gibberish once decompiled. My question is is there any way i can make sure the swf catcher cant find the swf file to download?

Please reply as soon as possible....
    2advanced did a thing where they called the swf from a serverside script that loaded the 2nd swf inside of the first you decompiled. That is your best route imo.

in otherwords make a flash file and compile it sending a URL variable to php or jsp(i love jsp)
    the variable could be 1 or alphanumeric...whatever u wanted.

the php or jsp would call the coded swf in to the original... so even if u decompiled the first swf u would not know the real one.

Network Guy
    Any swf executed by the runtime has to exist. You can make it a bit harder by loading them over https (many caching proxies won't cache https content), but it's certainly not foolproof.

I don't recall any 2a sites that dynamically 'compiled' a swf on the server, either client or internal, since perhaps some old, old projects in 2001/2002.

You're going to get decompiled. You can obfuscate some of the code, you can use tools that 'break' some decompilers, but at the end of the day, the runtime has to read the swf, and that means a decompiler can read it, too. Just live with it.