A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: really basic question

really basic question

Hi folks,

I am trying to publish my flash file into a standalone app for pc and mac. I published it by checking those from the publish settings and then clicking publish button but when i open the mac app, it won't open. On PC it just plays on the flash player.

Is there a flash player i need to download to publish this? Any help would be appreciated. THanks!

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    What version of Flash are you using? Did you gnerate a .app from Flash or a .hqx file? The .app is really a folder on the PC but once you move it to the Mac it will appear to be a single file. If all else fails, try zipping the Mac projector before you move it to the Mac to make sure you got everything.

i don't know what a .hqx file is. I've heard of it and looked it up seems like a lot of set up...

I actually asked my friend and he said he was able to create a standalone app just fine so then I asked my co worker to try it on his machine and it worked! So this proves that my steps were right there's nothing else to it. But i don't know why it won't work on this pc machine and my powerbook. They both have Flash CS3.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    So you're checking off "Windows projector (exe)" and "Macintosh Projector" in the publish settings and generating whatever.exe and whatever.app from a PC and then moving the whatever.app folder to your powerbook?

Depending on the size of your SWF, the .app folder should be around 11.5 MB on the PC before you move it. It contains a lot of files, including the standalone Flash player that you'll need on the Mac side for everything to work.

If you can't copy the .app folder directly to your Mac via a network share then ZIP the .app folder before you upload to an FTP site (or however you're getting it to the Mac) and then unzip it when you get it to the Mac.