A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to create a subdomain ?

How to create a subdomain ?

How can i create a subdomain please ? I know this is not flash oriented but after i make my flash website i copy the files into the www folder on my linux webhosting service and the index page loads when anyone uses the website url. Now if i want to have a second website at the same url how do i add a second domain ? my hosting service shows im allowed a max of 5 subdomains. Can someone tell me just where to put the second sites files including its own index file and how should the url be spelt to access the second site ?

Thanks.

Go to where you registered your domain name or to where ever your DNS is hosted from, and they should have directions on how to setup a subdomain on your domain. You have to do this part before the internet will know where to send requests.

What are you using to manage your domain, Plesk, WHM, or are you manually editing the apache configuration on the site? They all do it a little bit differently.

Hi,

I guess its a plesk control panel. Its also a linux server if you should know. Once i log in it shows things such as manage mail, set up scripts and such other icons. Nearly 20 of them and i hardly know much as im no expert in this area. Can you give me a rough idea which icon to click on a plesk control panel ?

Thanks

When you log into PLESK, on the left hand side there should be links, at the top there is a link that says "Domains" click that. Then in the list that populates, click the domain name you want to add the subdomain to. This will open another page with a whole bunch of links categorized into Domain, Services, and Hosting. In the Hosting Section, there should be a link for subdomains, click that. At the top of that page there will be an Icon/Link to "Add a New Subdomain" click that. On the page that opens, enter the info as needed, including the name of the subdomain. You can choose to either use the same FTP login info as your main site or create a new login that will just go right to the subdomain, choose the services you need (ie ASP, PHP, CGI, etc.) for your site to work properly (you can always come back in to the subdomain setup and add stuff later if you miss something). Click OK and your subdomain should be set up.

Now when you log into your main domain FTP there should be a folder called subdomains, and in that folder another folder with the name of your subdomain, and it will contain the same folder names as your main domain, like httpdocs, httpsdocs, etc... this is where you put your files for the subdomain (most likely the httpdocs unless you are on https for the subdomain).

Hope that helps. Remeber you also have to set up your DNS Records to point the subdomain CNAME to your server IP Address.

-JRM213

Hi JRM,

Sorry i got to see your post just now. In fact the day after i just posted this i went into the plesk panel and just started experimenting and clicked create add on domains and it just added a folder with that subname and it works. I now have to use www.subdomain.originaldomain.com. It also allows people to use www.originaldomain.com/subdomain. Except that the second method is case sensitive for the subdomain name alone. The first syntax is not case sensitive and gets there anyway. But i dont understand what you mean by adding services to even the subdomain. I didnt do any domain pointing changes/modifications but the two above mentioned methods are able to access the subsite.

Also i want to know if there is a way to have a subdomain where you dont have to reveal your orginal domain. Like if a person has two businesses which are unrelated and the owner wishes to keep it them that way.

Thanks....