A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: separate preloader!!!

separate preloader!!!

hi, can someone please tell me how to create separate preloaders. i am trying to create a flash webpage. the file size will be big due to the content. at the moment i have a preloader that runs wehn everything is loading at the beginning. as the user may not look at everything on the webpage some content may not need to be loaded. the content is all on the flash file and none of it is loaded from an outside file. so what i want is a preloader to load only the content that will be seen on the welcome page and nothing else. but then when you click on an option on the menu then preloader will appear and load that content.

hope this is clear and please reply as soon as possible.
    THAaNK YOu

there's no method to separate the loading of just one file. To do that you need to load each section of your site as a separate swf loaded as needed. You could tell your preloader to go to the welcome page once a percentage of the file is loaded assuming the welcome page is before the rest of the content, then it would continue loading while the visitor is on the welcome page, but if they clicked something on that page before the rest of the site was loaded it would stall until it finished loading.
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

hm

i understand this is an old thread..
    but i wanted to ask this myself..

When you see preloaders before nearly every page loads (eg.. 2advanced.com) - does that mean that they've used an external swf for each page?

yep. It doesn't mean they use external swf files, but it does mean that the page content is being loaded as needed. Might be an swf file or many jpg files or mp3 etc.
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection