A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A couple Questions for Racing Fans

A couple Questions for Racing Fans

So i was watching parts of the Indy 500 today, And the amount of people there to watch it was Massive.

racing is one of those things that i just have not been able to get into it.

so iv got some questions

1.) if you goto a race what do you do when you are not in view of the cars? all we have around my area is lebanon valley dirt track, you can always see all the cars, but in a race like the indy 500 when the laps are like 2.5 miles there seems like significant time when the cars are not in front of you.

2.) How do you pick who you root for? with so many people racing every race the sheer amount of people to choose from kind of blows my mind. This is the biggest thing that doesnt allow me to follow it.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

God did you come all the way here to flashkit just to post about some stupid sport no one ever watches? I wonder if I went to a race car forum and posted a flash question what would happen...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

dude those cricket people deleted my account after i said i enjoyed doing flash work.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post

1.) if you goto a race what do you do when you are not in view of the cars? all we have around my area is lebanon valley dirt track, you can always see all the cars, but in a race like the indy 500 when the laps are like 2.5 miles there seems like significant time when the cars are not in front of you.
    around 45 seconds for a slow car (200mph) - link

2.) How do you pick who you root for? with so many people racing every race the sheer amount of people to choose from kind of blows my mind. This is the biggest thing that doesnt allow me to follow it.
    Pick a car with colors that you like.

davidp
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

45 seconds times 400 laps

you are not watching the driver you root for for a Large chunk of time.

do you just sit there and go woo... there they go.. pause, here they come.. wooo. there they go?

What do you expect from any type of car sport other then demolition derby?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    do you just sit there and go woo... there they go.. pause, here they come.. wooo. there they go?
    No. They drink beer. Lots of it. Then they spend the rest of the time making out...

...with their sister.

yup. said it.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I thought that was Nascar? Don't Indy500 racers all have boyfriends?

go see some proper racing like f1 or world rally TAGL

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    While I agree with m_andrews808.....I think you have missed the entire point of gong to a race. After say... The 10th lap the cars are spread out pretty evenly over the entire track. So, there is usually a car or three in front of u at all times.

As far as who you root for... If you follow the sport at all then you should already have a favorite driver. Of not, go with a car manufacturer that you like : Ferrari, BMW, Mcclaren, etc.

Going to a racing event is like no other experience in the world. You feel different. The sound of the cars is clearer and louder, and the looks are WAY better live. It really gets you heart pumping hearing a Panoz GT roadster coming around the corner before you can even see it. You can actually feel it in your chest.

ya the indy 500 is a step down from formula 1, but that being said, when u watch a race like the indy 500 usually go with a driver u like or a car u like (i.e the 711 car or something)
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

Depends on what kind of racing you like. Personally I take to a mix of both ovals (where you have more passing) and street courses (where it's more technical and you really see what the car is made of). F1 cars are definitely more impressive, but there's just something about watching cars going ~220mph the entire track and running 2-3 wide. Guess growing up in Indy makes you a bit biased though ...

As for watching the race, as EVP said, with 33 cars after about 10 or so laps you have action in front of you the whole time.

As for who to root for: If you're not a fan, pick a car manufacturer or team ... or if you just like a specific driver, go with them. If you're a fan, you probably already have your favorite(s). I don't have a true favorite, but having know some of the Andretti's in college (cousins/nieces of the drivers) I typically pull for the name. I also have some ties with Sarah Fisher (actually bowl in a league with her father-in-law) so I'm usually pulling for her to get a good finish.

I will say this, if you're ever in Indy during May stop by the track. You won't be disappointed. At the very least you'll appreciate the facility ... just massive.

i can understand the excitement of F1 but not races that go round and round and round in circle all day.

i sometimes think ppl go see races coz of the crashes. i mean u look at the racing hi-lites and they only show crashes, then the winner through checkered flag.
    Last edited by Jujumon; 05-28-2009 at 11:26 AM.