A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: new site, feedback welcome

new site, feedback welcome

Hi guys, any feedback on my site would be much appreciated..it's my first flash site but questions I want to ask are:
    Is it too large?
    would you prefer to toggle on and off with the magnify glass or is it ok becoming the cursor completely?
    How is it loading? Is it too long?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice :-)

www.zoeglazebrook.co.uk

I like the design of your site
    Artworks Design offers nearly 14 years of reliable, dependable website design and programming experience for the best web and graphic design in St. Louis.

This is an old trick, but a good one and I think you have a nice concept here. It is a little large, anytime I get a horizontal scroll bar I cringe a bit. I think you could afford to make it a little smaller although it seems to be a bit pixilated, I am wondering what you are using for photo-editing.

Having the magnifying glass follow the whole time is fine and it loads very fast.

Keep up the good work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks rynoe :-) thats weird that it looks pixelated..I'm using photoshop and its set at quite a high quality...is it the content inside the magnify glass which looks pixelated or the whole thing?

When it is magnified it looks perfect, when not it is slightly pixilated, I doubt anyone but ppl who play with graphic tools like we do would even notice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wonder if it is because to get the smaller image I scaled the movie clip of the larger corckboard in Flash with the transform tool? Otherwise I would have to bring another smaller version done in photoshop but then I thought this would load to slowly as the file size might be too big.

That would make sense to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ok, I've put in a brand new smaller image and this looks a lot smoother I think :-)

I really like your site.

It takes a while to load on my PC. Don't exactly know what my download speed is, probably about 3mb (though it's supposed to be up to 24mb).

I like the use of the magnifying glass as the cursor but I think you should have an option to disengage it as it could anoy some users.

You may (personal choice I guess) want to set up a contact page displaying your contact details as some people don't have email set up on their computers as they use hotmail, etc.

Also you need to hide the "choose a polaroid to find out more" button once a polaroid has been clicked as it shows between loading each one in.

And one last thing, maybe fade your home page back in as the transition back to it from the other pages (not as slow as the other fade though).

Looks very professional, thanks for sharing it with us.

WB

I like the site over all. It's well put together. The idea behind the glass is fine, but it gets in the way of ease of navigation and that's more important. So I would chuck that out altogether. Or at least only have it follow your mouse when you're hovering over the clips and cut outs but when you get above the line where the navigation is have it go away and the regular mouse return. Also first time around I found it difficult to find the back home button, maybe that was because it was obscured by the post-it with the page title. Generally you want the title to go somewhere more prominent like at the top of your page, that way it also wouldn't interfere with the home button making it invisible. One thing that irked me was the push-button roll over effect you chose for the polaroid buttons. Probably because it reminded me of old-ass macs with their butt-ugly interfaces. But this one bit is merely an opinion. Overall this is a very nice site, things flow well and transitions don't get annoying.