A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fitness thread - join me

Fitness thread - join me

So some circumstances came up in my moms life that pulled her away from our little bet and I sorta trailed off because of that as well. We have been trying to still keep up the healthy eating when all together at home. But if I am out and about with friends I really slip into junk food and our vacation we just took was full of bad food. I'm going to try and really get back on top of this.

My brother-in-law and myself have formed a little bet between ourselves to see who can lose the most body fat. It is sorta unfair to just compare total weight lost so we chose body fat %. We set the deadline for Sept 1st. I am not exactly sure what his plan of attack is but mine will be using that P90x program I am sure most of you have seen ads for. A friend of mine is on day 19 and said he is already really enjoying it and can feel and see a difference. So that along with all the before/after photos I have seen online I have chosen to try it. I might also get the 10-minute-trainer and throw that in on days I am feeling extra energetic. I have really hit a point in my physical state that I want a drastic change so I am really going for it.

This is more then just some announcement though. This is an open invitation to all of you to join me. You don't have to do the P90x but just anything you can do to better your health. I for one and going to try to cut out all the damn junk food and processed crap I eat and get outside away from the computer screen more and maybe even break in my new bike. Not fitness related but I am also going to try and start reading more books and not just random meaningless articles from digg. So I hope some of you will join me and share your progress as you go along.

Our bet starts Monday so I will be calculating my body fat and other measurements then to keep track of my progress.

Hope you all will join me.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Didn't gshock try this?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

He wanted to bet money and use some stupid nike product. I am just inviting you all to join me for fun. I don't care if anyone really joins it is just motivation that people know about it so that I keep on track. It would be cool if this motivates others to do something too though.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    You don't have to do the P90x...
    So, I can use something else that doesn't cost money, so I can put those dollars towards student loans?
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

No idea what the P90x program is. But your best bet is heavy compound weightlifting coupled with HIIT and a well managed diet.

Goodluck.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    So, I can use something else that doesn't cost money, so I can put those dollars towards student loans?
    Or you can not be an ******* all the time and borrow a friends like I'm doing.

if anyone is interested this guy has sealed P90x for only $70 shipped.(cost $140 shipped through the official site)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/P90X-Extreme-Hom...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 06-04-2009 at 03:11 PM.

Ill stick to my 5 days a week 20 minutes a day on the company provided work out equipment. No fancy schamncy VHS tapes for me.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

So how much weight have you lost since the last thread?
    I actually started taking it pretty seriously after that thread and i've lost 35lbs since then. Still hellishly unfit though, i need to sort that out big time. Still need to cut down on beer and diet coke.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Diet sodas are like a fat persons methadone. I'm just saying

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Your living in the US, so... good luck trying to eat healthy if your not growing and breading your own food. I was about to start a thread in regards to "Which Nationality eats the healthiest?".

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Diet sodas are like a fat persons methadone. I'm just saying
    Haha, i like that! I know i need to kick it but i seriously can't see how it affects your weight? I really need someone to scare me into quitting.

Hopefully getting a physical job in the sun over summer so i can sweat off a few more pounds. How do you measure body fat wannabe?
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Just did a quick google. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-f...at-formula.php

Too be honest I pretty much faded off from doing my daily running and stuff too so I prob only lost 10 lbs max and gained a few back on vacation(whoops) but I feel that by Sept 1st I can be well on my way to my goal if not already there. My freshmen year I was down to almost 175-180 and I felt good so that is my goal for now. I'll see how I feel once I'm around that range and if I feel I should lose more or just tone up. I am pretty pumped from seeing a lot of people's results on this program. Should be pretty obvious but not just working out will accomplish this. They have a nice nutrition guide that comes with it all too so half the battle is the eating life style change.

Before & After
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 06-05-2009 at 08:24 AM.

If I lost 30 pounds I'd lose a quarter of me. So I'm going to try and put on every pound you lose.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

im hoping to gain 20lbs by march.

i'm with virgo and silver.

I was in my doctors office a few months ago and i didn't even register on the BMI chart on the wall.

According to my Wii iv made it into the normal section which was an awesome thing to see.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet View Post
    Your living in the US, so... good luck trying to eat healthy if your not growing and breading your own food. I was about to start a thread in regards to "Which Nationality eats the healthiest?".
    Got to be Indians, or another Asian nation, I'm thinking Japanese or maybe Philippines

An I'm talking about traditional cuisine here, not those who eat at the newly opened American Embassies a.k.a. McDonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut

From what I see while flying these are the leanest most fit nationalities

I decided to go through the whole original P90 and added Master series before attempting P90x. Just finished my first session of the sculpting workout. I can tell I will be sore tomorrow. Good thing it alternates and tomorrow is cardio. I am pretty pumped to see the results to start showing and really hit it hard with the 90x.

My understanding of P90X is it's just a routine of different exercises that makes sure you target everything, nothing super-secret or that requires any special equipment. The DVD's are just there for motivation. If it helps you to have something to follow, then it's worth it. Workouts are psychological as well.

I've traded running for the elliptical b/c there's less impact. I can maintain my heart rate for longer intervals. (Remember, you need to keep it up for 20 minutes before you get any real benefit.) I'll eventually re-integrate running once I'm back close to where I was.

I find kettlebells to be great. Compact, and they don't put unnecessary strain on your wrist trying to balance them like dumbells. Plus you can do more exercises with them.

As far as diet:
    1.) Don't keep anything in the house you don't want to eat.
    2.) Give yourself a 'no eating out' rule, or a weekly budget for eating out.
    3.) Buy lots of fruit and keep it in the house. If it's the only think to eat, and you're hungry, you'll eat it.

Once you change your habits, you won't even miss the bad stuff.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Planet View Post
    Horsecrap.

There's plenty of fresh and organic food grown here. Farmers markets are abundant unless you live in the desert. People are just either too lazy or too ignorant to eat healthy.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.