A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help adding new functionality

Help adding new functionality

Hello,

I've struggled to get my animation working the way it is currently and now the functionality has been requested to change and quite frankly I just don't think I would be able to work it out as I'm not a Flash developer.

CURRENT STATE OF ANIMATION:

You can download the FLA in it's current state here: http://78.109.163.127/$sitepreview/stormasp.net/.

It's a sliding image gallery. There are 13 images and when you roll your mouse over an image a set of filters are applied (to the movieclip wrapping the image) that gives it a glow/drop shadow effect.

The images move based on the mouse position.

WHAT THE ANIMATION NEEDS TO DO NOW:

• 1. The animation still needs to move on the mouse position, but also the when the animation loads it should automatically move in one direction (images moving left across the stage) but when the user rolls their mouse over the animation then the mouse position takes control. Once the user rolls their mouse away from the animation then the images need to keep moving in the last direction (at a set speed)

• 2. When the user rolls their mouse over an image it needs to get bigger - but wont some of the images then overlap, so each movieclip would then have to dynamically move to the top of the stack to make sure they overlap the other images correctly

• 3. The animation needs to loop!?

Really need help here, hopefully someone can.

Kind regards,
    Mark

Will moderate for beer
    Hilarious user name for a flash forum.

These sorts of questions usually don't receive many responses. If you have particular issues that you're trying to solve, ask about those. Post code and error messages.

If you just want to pay someone to fix it up, I can move this thread to the freelance section for you.

Hi there, thanks for clarifying - and liking the clearly "out of place" user name

Really if people can just advise on what are the best ways forward with regard to each of the points I raised.

I did point a link to the source FLA so people can see how I've developed it so far (in case what they suggest wont work for the style in which my FLA has been developed so far).

Thanks again for your response!

Will moderate for beer
    Okay. I'm unable to open .flas here so I'll take some wild shots at ideas.

1. keep a dx variable which describes the x speed. Initialize it to some small negative value to make things go left, and update it based on a MouseEvent.MOUSE_MOVE event. Use this dx in an Event.ENTER_FRAME handler to effect the animation.

2. If overlap is okay, then just have a MouseEvent.ROLL_OVER or MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER handler on each image which simply re-adds that image to its container. Re-adding will automatically shuffle it to the top of the display list.

3. If by loop you mean that things that fall off the edge need to re-appear on the other edge, then just check for the boundary conditions in your enter frame handler and move the ones that are off stage in the direction of motion to the other side.